Page 175 of 458 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 4578

Thread: Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story page 175

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    If you've been to the bathroom a lot, then something is definitely off with your system! Perhaps it was the chef salad. Try to take it easy on yourself. Do you have any ginger for a soothing tea?

It can be so frustrating to see someone we love do detrimental things to themselves, but it is their choice. Would your husband be willing to read Wheat Belly?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I've thought about getting that book. Might be a good place to start with him. thanks. I do have some ginger and I'll try some tea.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Brad doesn't have the best diet either, but after reading the article on PaleoNonPaleo about 27 ways to live with your non-paleo spouse, I have lightened up on him a LOT. As in, I make his meals. He eats them. If I don't make the meal, he's on his own and can get whatever he wants. But... I make breakfast, lunch and dinner for him to take to work each day (well, except dinner as we eat that at home at night). Someone made mention that Brad looks slimmer and his response was "must be the shirt", even though he was able to wear a 3x tshirt yesterday (normally wears a 4x) and he's on the last hole on his belt. He doesn't think anything is changing.

Basically, all that to say that if he wants to do it, he'll come around on his own... however, I remembering badgering Brad at first and things started to really change when we discussed how a grain free, lower carb diet can improved diabetes risk and cancer growth. Brad has a lot of emotional eating signals and has a sugar addiction.

Can't help but wonder if your hubby is on his way to becoming less resistant, and if he has a sort of disordered eating complex like Brad.

But, I think you should read the blog post. I know you're anxious about his weight and his health, but really, he's the only one who can make the difference. If he's not willing to yet, it won't happen and you'll just drive yourself nuts trying to force it. I think diet change is even more daunting and overwhelming for guys than it is for women b/c it's all women have ever known - losing weight and dieting - and guys have always just gone with the flow. To have to change that now is difficult for them.

I hope you feel better (physically) soon. Gut issues are no fun!! And I too am anxious to start planting this spring! Brad wants to do raised beds, but I don't. I just want a normal garden this first year and will work on raised beds next year - maybe we can start acquiring the pieces necessary this summer/next winter to spread out the cost.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 03-11-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Jenn, I love that article (read it before). It's a good reminder. I charred some bridges (I don't think they're burnt) with Hulky when I tried to push my WOE on him, early on. I try to encourage him to make healthy choices within his own framework of "what is healthy" and ask him questions. He told me today that he wants to take the car tonight to get some breakfast/lunch foods. I asked him what he was thinking about for breakfast foods and he didn't answer that question. Maybe he missed it, but sometimes he won't answer me because he thinks I'm going to proselytize about paleo eating.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

This is the first time I've really pushed him - other than lightly mentioning things to him over the 16 months I've been primal. He hates change of any kind - and I think you're right that changing eating patterns is very difficult for a guy. He has always just ate whatever he felt like - without much regard to nutrition or health. I know he has to be eating more than a salad for lunch and what I make for dinner. cuz he's getting bigger. I don't think he see's it. but I do. He doesn't like to talk about his weight. He's not huge or anything - but at 5'6" he's about 225 I'd say. He should be down around 170. His dad had diabetes and heart disease and high blood pressure. So I worry. I want him to be healthy in our older years. I know you understand - I've read your concerns for Brad in your journal.

He said he would watch the Sugar video with me - and I'm going to get wheat belly too. Maybe he'll make the switch?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

I am very worried about Brad's weight and the state of his health. But all I can do is control what he eats in our house. Outside, I have no control. And while I hate the idea of the consequences, I have to accept it. Brad is 6'1", 330 lbs. he should also be under 200. But he's not a reader so getting him to read the PB or Wheat Belly or anything like that is hopeless. I'm lucky if he hears half of my explanations for things. hell, I can't even get my kids to eat what I make, so I'm happy that at least Brad is. One of these days, he'll cut the sugars.

speaking of sugars - bravo to you for making it this far into your 21 day sugar detox. I was very proud of myself for saying NO to the apple pie that hubby brought home last night. It looked wonderful and I really wanted to eat some, but I'm learning to be strong! The consequenses of eating grains/sugars is really not worth the 15 minutes of pleasure I get from eating it! He apologised for bringing it home
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    speaking of sugars - bravo to you for making it this far into your 21 day sugar detox. I was very proud of myself for saying NO to the apple pie that hubby brought home last night. It looked wonderful and I really wanted to eat some, but I'm learning to be strong! The consequenses of eating grains/sugars is really not worth the 15 minutes of pleasure I get from eating it! He apologised for bringing it home
    Apple Pie kills me! The last two times I ate it, my belly swelled up to that of an 8 month pregnant belly and felt like one too! hard to breathe, impossible to get comfy while sitting... only difference is my tailbone didn't hurt! lol I'm glad you were able to hold out. Did he take the pie to work with him then?

yes, he took it with him.

my weight is up a couple pounds - must have had too much salt over the weekend. I haven't tracked anything accept my walking in a week now. I think I'm keeping my calories in a good place - but obviously if the scale isn't moving I need to move more or eat less. And I haven't been sleeping all that great either.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    It took me sending DH a success story that mimicked his life to get him to try eating primal. I also stressed the 80-20 aspect and make sure there are plenty of good leftovers for his lunch (he's in the habit of packing one each day). I also have Greek yogurt and good fruits in the house. I make sure not to preach, but to have things that are primal available for him to eat. It helps that he is seeing the weight come down slowly.
    Female 52 travel for business monthly
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html