Thread: Energy? page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

Energy?

Shop Now
    If your on a low carb diet (less than 50g a day), and not in ketosis, (blood tested for accuracy), where is the body getting its energy from?
    Is it eating away at the muscle?
    I often find myself in this situation. (Im on a ketogenic/paleo diet) ???
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Are ketosis and fat burning inextricably linked?
    I would have thought it'd be possible to metabolise fat, even when there's enough carb intake to prevent ketosis. I don't know the science, but I'm sure a lot of people lose fat eating more than 50g of carbs/day. I imagine it'd be contributing to energy output?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Fat, protein, and carbs can be used for energy in the body. Each of the different macros though has a slightly different purpose. Carbs provide glycogen and our body needs some glycogen for healing and repairs in addition to things like building muscle. In the near absence of carbs the liver will convert protein to glycogen via a process called glyconeogenesis. The process reduced the amount of protein for other needs and is not a particularly fast process. You would be glycogen depleted and have reduced energy levels and less able to build and retain muscle.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Actually researchers have found a high fat diet preserves muscle.
    Atkins Article : The Fat Fast

Published in Lancet journal in 1957.

jb0055 is offline Junior Member
    All I can say is just be careful if you're VLC even with light exercise. That is if you don't want to faint at a restaurant like I did last week It's my fault I should have listened to my body during my workout earlier that day. It was trying to tell me that I needed to up my carbs.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    you can burn fat without being in ketosis. most people shuttle back and forth between burning glucose and free fatty acids at various points during the day. ketosis is what happens when your body burns fat in the absence of carbohydrate - a byprodcut is created from this type of metabolism - ketones.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Also too, just because you aren't spilling enough ketones in your urine to turn the testing strips dark, it doesn't necessarily mean you aren't in ketosis.

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Also too, just because you aren't spilling enough ketones in your urine to turn the testing strips dark, it doesn't necessarily mean you aren't in ketosis.
    That.

It's my understanding that if you're efficiently using the ketones for energy then they're simply not wasted in your pee.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denasqu View Post
    That.

It's my understanding that if you're efficiently using the ketones for energy then they're simply not wasted in your pee.
    Hence chronic ketosis = very efficient fat burning machine, and fewer calories out, other things being equal.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    Are ketosis and fat burning inextricably linked?
    Ketogenesis

Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    I would have thought it'd be possible to metabolise fat, even when there's enough carb intake to prevent ketosis. I don't know the science, but I'm sure a lot of people lose fat eating more than 50g of carbs/day. I imagine it'd be contributing to energy output?
    The Glucose-Fatty Acid Cycle

Ron Rosedale's post for Jimmy Moore's blog about so-called 'safe starches'; | Facebook
    It isn’t necessarily ketosis that we want…it is the burning of those ketones that is beneficial, and the two are often opposite. Ketosis is what is left over from not having burned them. Eating carbs can inhibit the burning of ketones that the MCTs may be making, thus resulting in ketosis, but not necessarily ketone utilization.
    Last edited by js290; 03-28-2012 at 12:13 PM.