Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clueless relatives page

Egerland is offline Senior Member

Clueless relatives

Primal Fuel
    So we are at my wife's cousin's house listening to them tell of a visit to Sri Lanka. The subject drifted to the food, which apparently consists of lots of heavily spiced rice and beans. The one who had visited the country commented that much of the population suffered from more or less constant diarrhea. The first person to comment said, "what a healthy diet"!! After being told what the result of said diet is...

Truly I despair.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    traditional diet of rice and beans, with spices vs. standard american diet? clear winner. obesity levels in sri lanka? not high. is much of the country actually suffering from constant diarrhea? i have no idea, but i doubt it.

animal protein is often the first thing to go from poorer people's diets. to be honest, this doesn't sound so terrible. not optimal, but hardly anything to ridicule!

johneeeveee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    traditional diet of rice and beans, with spices vs. standard american diet? clear winner. obesity levels in sri lanka? not high. is much of the country actually suffering from constant diarrhea? i have no idea, but i doubt it.

animal protein is often the first thing to go from poorer people's diets. to be honest, this doesn't sound so terrible. not optimal, but hardly anything to ridicule!
    I would have to agree.

It is interesting that many of the poorer cultures (assuming they aren't starving, which is another thing altogether) are often healthier and happier than those that have abundance of wealth and food. Simplicity can be a beautiful thing IMO.

markbarrett1976 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Egerland View Post
    So we are at my wife's cousin's house listening to them tell of a visit to Sri Lanka. The subject drifted to the food, which apparently consists of lots of heavily spiced rice and beans. The one who had visited the country commented that much of the population suffered from more or less constant diarrhea. The first person to comment said, "what a healthy diet"!! After being told what the result of said diet is...

Truly I despair.
    To me... that sounds like a sarcastic comment.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    There's no indication that the food is causing the diarrhea, either.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Poor sanitary conditions would be the most likely cause. It's a huge leap to think that the issue is widespread or related to the actual food and not the conditions the people are living in or how sanitary the water or food is.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Does it really need to be pointed out that people in poor countries tend to be malnourished due to not having enough to eat ( the expression "hand to mouth" was created precisely to underscore this point )? When you couple malnourishment with malabsorption ( diarrhea ) obesity would be the last thing I would expect to find. Not finding obesity and then using its absence as a justification and / or validation for the local prevalent diet seems misguided.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

lardomuncher is offline Senior Member
    diet of rice and beans can be very healthy, if obviously consumed in moderation with good meat and veg.

rice and beans was not the reason most of us got fat/sick and flocked to paleo to get healthy

some people think of paleo/primal as voodoo magic or a miracle, but I hate to break it to them, there are plenty of other diets out there that contradict paleo that worked for many people and resulted in significant weight loss and good health, because most of the diets out there have one thing in common, they cut out processed junk food and get people eating whole foods. rice and beans is not the worst thing you can be eating by far
    Last edited by lardomuncher; 03-29-2012 at 08:24 AM.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I don't miss beans...maybe lentil soup, but that'd be it

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Are you sure it's the Sri Lankans who had the constant diarrhea and not your relatives or the people they were traveling with?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast