Thread: Pasture Poultry Family Farm Startup in Western WA, in need of your help! page

llewin is offline Member

Pasture Poultry Family Farm Startup in Western WA, in need of your help!

Hey all. I mentioned a while back that my family is starting up a local pastured poultry farm. We've been putting together our business plan and building a customer base over the past few months.

Boy what a crazy week it's been! Loralei and I are finding that the necessary capital to kick start our pastured poultry operation has become difficult to come by. We had a couple of income generating options in the pipeline but they have fallen through.

When we mentioned the challenges to our new/soon-to-be customers, and indicated that we were going to have to suspend plans and just focus on produce this year, we got a really sizeable outpouring of support and a good number of people have encouraged us to get a fund raising project up and running on Kickstarter for our pastured meat bird operation... I hadn't ever considered that the community might want a pastured alternative to CornishX birds that much, but I guess a lot of folks really want these options!

In any event, we've gone ahead and set one up!

We can really use the support of like minded individuals for this. I know some folks are super tight on money and please don't donate if you can't afford it, but please do help us get the word out!

Here's our link!!

Hallet Family Farm Freedom Ranger Poultry Project by Joel Hallet — Kickstarter

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Will you guys be able to ship some items out? I'd love to buy things, if possible. I'll definitely do what I can to support you guys

llewin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    Will you guys be able to ship some items out? I'd love to buy things, if possible. I'll definitely do what I can to support you guys
    There are a few challenges with shipping. The first is that at our level of operation, we can not afford the infrastructure necessary to get USDA or WSDA licensing to freeze or ship. The second, and more important challenge is that shipping outside of our local food shed breaks one of our core values; To support local agriculture and facilitate greater connection between communities and their local farmers.

I do appreciate the moral support though, and if you feel like donating, of course that would be greatly appreciated as well.

llewin is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow the response has been amazing so far! We are currently at 60% of our goal. We need about 100 more folks willing to pledge $15 to help us get our pastured poultry enterprise up and running!

We just got some awesome pics this past weekend, out at our Seattle Tilth Farm Works location, working with the 2012 cohort and some volunteers to prepare the fields for sowing! I'm working on getting them up on an album. Stay tuned!

If you are so inclined, please do pledge and/or help us get the word out!