Thread: Meet and Greet from New Orleans page

primalpadre is offline Junior Member

Post Meet and Greet from New Orleans

Shop Now
    Hello, I'm in the New Orleans area and am starting the primal lifestyle.

A bit of history, I grew up fairly large, and went on the 'carbohydrate diet' in high school (Atkins,) then became fairly athletic and didn't have a huge problem with weight until I was about ten years ago. I was a regular on a Usenet low-carb list, discovered Tropical Traditions coconut oil, and 'The Ketogenic Diet', and all was well for awhile. Still, my weight has pendulumed back and forth over the years.

So then I decided I wanted to learn how to cook, and worked my way through Julia Child's books. Initially this was good, because I looked at it as sort of a low carb thing, and just did not eat the bread, pasta, rice, pastry, etc. And then I discovered the bread, rice, pasta, pastry, etc and grew to my heaviest weight ever, where I remained for about a year.

From there I tried low carbing, I tried vegan, I tired everything but wasn't losing an ounce. Then through low carb I lost about 30 pounds. Still I went back to a low glycemic index diet, thinking that was the way to health.

So I'm glad to discover primal eating, and primal living. It makes sense to me, and incorporates a lot of the things I learned over the years regarding foods in general. I'm looking forward to giving it a go over the long term.

Diets are confusing in today's world. I'm glad to find the Primal Blueprint.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    I was a previous Atkins success as well. But I found I still felt like crap and simply "counting carbs" wasn't sustainable in the long term for me. Once I started allowing whole grains in, it was a slippery slope that eventually led to complete abandonment of any carb awareness. Once that happened, even a Hostess donut wasn't evil.

This makes so much more sense and my body agrees. Hope yours does as well!

primalpadre is offline Junior Member
    Thanks. I had the same experience with Atkins, even though I was looking at Organics and Whole Foods. I think it's the grains that made the difference for me also. The slippery slope of whole grains eventually led to ... pies, biscuits, cakes, trifles filled with pastry cream... ::shudder:: This does make much more sense!

cajungrokgirl is offline Junior Member
    Primalpadre,
    Hey, are you still primal/paleo? Still in NOLA?

I'm planning a NOLA Grokfeast in the spring. Would you be interested in joining the group?
    Cajungrokgirl
    Tam