Thread: food textures page

Andrew is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I have recently started eating and living primally, just about a week and a half ago. Eating 'normal' cuts of chicken, beef and buffalo is something I have been doing for a while. But I have recently started dabbling in things like lamb and to my surprise have found myself not enjoying the fatty slimy texture of it-despite the meat being incredibly delicious. I still scarfed it down, just a little slower than I would a steak.

Has anyone else had a reaction like this at the beginning? I am definitely part of the younger generation who has never really seen these different textures in food. I really want to get into different types of meat that are usually seen as gross in America-mostly because I am a broke college student. I also want to get a taste for that kind of thing since I have applied to spend the next year in Iceland where the traditional food is fermented shark, rams testicles, puffin and goats head. Out of my own vanity, I would definitely want to be able to eat the traditional food.

Could there be a way to ease into these different foods? Or is the best way to just dive right in?

thanks

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I'd say just keep trying as many different things as you can.

I can't eat fat alone, has to be in the same mouthful as some lean meat. Also if it gets cold I struggle (cold crispy chicken skin...eugh...).

The fat will still have soaked into the lean as it cooks - hence it being so tender and delicious - so don't worry that you're wasting it if you can't stomach it.

Athena is offline Senior Member

Ive actually found the opposite. I used to cringe at eating fatty cuts, maybe it was the mental CW state I was at the time. Now I love just chewing on lamb fat and I actually ate cold cooked ground beef with the solid fat all over it. delish!!

shastagirl Guest

lamb is very popular meat in australia, so i was used to it and i missed it very much when i first moved over. its difficult to find, and its very expensive in comparison.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Athena - that just turned my stomach.... *shudder* each to his own!

Andrew - are there any "ethnic communities" (I hate that phrase) where you live? If so, you should be able to try all kinds of wierd and wonderful things, from normal cuts of new animals (goat, mutton, horse??), to unidentified dishes.

Chinese cuisine is good for an experience. Chicken feet are ok, I couldn't face the accidentally-ordered duck feet. The webbing put me off!

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

I grew up in southeastern Europe and every fall I witnessed the annual pig slaughter in my grandparents' village. I never actually saw the pig get killed but I saw the open carcass, my grandfather stewing crackling and my grandmother rinsing the intestines to use as sausage casings, none of which phased me at the time, much less now. I basically grew up on food cooked in lard and you'd think I'd be able to stomach anything; despite these early childhood experiences, just like the OP I absolutely cannot stomach the slimy fat off any cut of meat, even in the same mouthful with lean meat! It really is an inherent aversion to texture more so than anything else.

ChrisJ is offline Member

It's funny, I've never had that problem with any meats or fish, but I do have a texture problem with mushrooms.

Raw: the texture is fine, but the taste is a little too much.

Fried in butter: Tastes delicious, but too slimey.

Do other primalers here eat many mushrooms?

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

Yes! I totally forgot about mushrooms too. I love the flavour of them (ie. mushroom soup I don't mind) but I can't stand them either raw or cooked, no matter how thinly sliced. They're soooo........ squishy.