Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Six months to shape up or Dr. is threatening meds page

tnthudson is offline Junior Member

Six months to shape up or Dr. is threatening meds

Primal Fuel
    OK, so I went to my yearly physical yesterday (I'm 43 yrs. old) and my cholesterol is creeping up (226 total, 36 HDL, 159.2 LDL) and my Glucose, his main concern, is also creeping up (108, which he calls pre-diabetic).
    I just finished the Primal Blueprint last night and have read many articles on this site, so I know what the answer is going to be...but I guess I'm just looking for comfort in my specific case, so that's why I'm on the forum.
    I have six months to 'shape up' or the Dr. is threatening meds, due to my family history of high BP and cholesterol. If I do the Primal lifestyle, which I intend to do, is six months enough time to get my bloodwork in line? I know health is more than bloodwork but I don't want to get into a scrap in my Dr.s office because my glucose is still over 100.
    I intend to be one of the Success Stories on this forum one day.
    thanks!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    For the diabetes side, study: Blood Sugar 101

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Depends how strict you are in large part I would think. Robb Wolff book has a sample improvement section (pretend person who changes lifestyle) which has some specific numbers he said are fairly typical--sorry don't have pages etc. as I am at work.

ppham27 is offline Member
    All these studies showed statistically significant benefits in less than 3 months. One even shows substantial benefits in 10 days.

Frassetto LA, Schloetter M, Mietus-Synder M, Morris RC, Jr., Sebastian A: Metabolic and physiologic improvements from consuming a paleolithic, hunter-gatherer type diet. Eur J Clin Nutr 2009.

Jönsson T, Granfeldt Y, Ahrén B, Branell UC, Pålsson G, Hansson A, Söderström M, Lindeberg S. Beneficial effects of a Paleolithic diet on cardiovascular risk factors in type 2 diabetes: a randomized cross-over pilot study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2009;8:35

Lindeberg S, Jonsson T, Granfeldt Y, Borgstrand E, Soffman J, Sjostrom K, Ahren B: A Palaeolithic diet improves glucose tolerance more than a Mediterranean-like diet in individuals with ischaemic heart disease. Diabetologia 2007, 50(9):1795-1807.

Osterdahl M, Kocturk T, Koochek A, Wandell PE: Effects of a short-term intervention with a paleolithic diet in healthy volunteers. Eur J Clin Nutr 2008, 62(5):682-685.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Try intermittent fasting. But first you might try the 6 week leptin reset- high protein and no snacks for 6 weeks.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Did you read this article yet? And more importantly, has your Dr. seen it?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Buffdv is offline Senior Member
    Yes, if you stick to it pretty strictly 6 months is more than enough time to get your numbers better. They aren't that bad to start with. I was 44 when I started and went from 274 lbs to 232 lbs in six months, Sept to March. Even had Thanksgiving in there. I'm not due to get new blood work numbers until April. But, my wife's cholesterol went from 150 to 110 in about 4 months. and my BP has dropped about 20 points each number.

I would go for a couple of months before starting Intermittent Fasting.

Say NO to drugs!!! Good luck on your journey.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sure six months is enough time! At the very least positive health trends in that time should give you enough peace of mind that your new life style choices are working for you. Just get started and you will do just fine!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    A total Cholesterol of 226 would make me really happy. Mine was 268 last time they looked and I haven't had another test yet. Anyway, the common occurrence on an eating plan like this, or on a carbohydrate restricted whole food diet, is that your triglycerides drop quickly, your HDL improves and your LDL usually looks worse than it is due to the low triglycerides and the miscalculation that occurs (because LDL is never directly measured.) Usually the LDL particle size increases and most doctors are not even aware that there are different particle sizes. Larger particles are a sign of health. Since most doctors are a little ignorant and don't appreciate receiving information from their patients, especially ones who get info from the Internet, it may not be possible to make your doctor happy and you may have to ignore him or find a smarter doctor. Good luck.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Your doctor cannot MAKE you do anything. If you don't want to take drugs, you don't have to.

And in 6 months' time, if you are trending in the right direction, even if you are not where your doctor wants you to be yet, you can still tell him, "Look, what I'm doing is helping. I want to keep doing it a while longer and see where it takes me before I resort to prescriptions".

Your health is up to YOU. He's there for diagnosis and advice, but decisions are ultimately yours.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast