Thread: Homemade Deodorant & Skin Irritation page

erikaj is offline Junior Member

Question Homemade Deodorant & Skin Irritation

Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

I've recently stopped using chemical laden deodorants (mostly because of my mixed-up idea that I needed to stop my body from sweating) and have switched to the Thai crystal (use after showering) and a baking soda/jojoba oil mix for the days I don't shower. These work great and I don't smell like vegetable soup (like I was smelling before when I tried using a natural, plant based deo)! My sweating has even calmed down quite a bit.

However, after about a week and half, my armpits have started developing red, irritated patches. I've noticed this when I shaved under my arms, and then used the Thai crystal right after (which I don't think I'm supposed to do and just forgot), but also one day when I rubbed in the baking soda mix and had to put extra oil on to make it stop burning.

I've also tried putting a higher ratio of jojoba oil to baking soda, but that still didn't full calm my pits. Again, I shaved in the shower (with aloe vera gel and shaving "with the gain") and it seemed like that blatantly irritated them.

Has anyone else had skin problems while switching to a baking soda/oil mix for deodorant? Any suggestions as to what to do or what I should try/look out for?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Trying shaving with coconut oil? Or a coconut oil based deodorant?
    Why I Heart Coconut Oil & DIY Deodorant | Lana Purcell- my slice of heaven

I don't know what it is exactly, but the stones and baking soda are irritants and your skin is already irritated after shaving. It could be the condition of your skin over the deodorant, but it's probably a combination of both. I would suggest shaving less frequently if you can stand it. I usually shave every 2-3 days so there's at least a "fuzzy" length and that produces much less irritation.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).