Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bypass new cure for diabetes page

springnr is offline Senior Member

Bypass new cure for diabetes

Primal Fuel
    A "sensational" new finding could be the beginning of a cure for type 2 diabetes...

“It’s pretty amazing,” said Dr. Phil Schauer of the Cleveland Clinic, the lead author on one of the studies."
    _____
    Most of the surgery patients saw their HDL, the good cholesterol, shoot way up and their artery clogging triglycerides drop sharply.

“This is sensational,” Nissen told me.
    _____
    Why, in some patients, do the positive effects take place long before they lose weight? Marla Evans, 56, one of the volunteers who got gastric banding in the Cleveland study put it this way, “I was a diabetic, and then after the surgery, within a few days, the diabetes was much better, and within a month or two there was no diabetes in my blood at all.”

Most experts believe the operations somehow set off massive changes in the body’s hormones. Exactly what and how remains a mystery.

“This is hotly debated area,” Dr. Rudy Leibel of Columbia University, an authority on metabolic hormones told me. And it is critical because if scientists can figure out how to bring about the changes that control the diabetes without surgery or with far less invasive surgery, the treatment could easily be more widespread.
    ___

It's a mystery? Really??? Surgery works somehow, but Paleo/Primal eating good food is a fad diet.

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    well i suppose they should do a follow up study to see what lifestyle changes people had to make in order to adjust post-surgery.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Vitals - Could weight loss surgery help end diabetes?
    “This is hotly debated area,” Dr. Rudy Leibel of Columbia University, an authority on metabolic hormones told me. And it is critical because if scientists can figure out how to bring about the changes that control the diabetes without surgery or with far less invasive surgery, the treatment could easily be more widespread.
    More from the article:

But even now medicine faces the question: Is it worth undergoing surgery that costs about $25,000 and carries a significant risk of dangerous complications and unpleasant side effects to treat type 2 diabetes? The answer, most experts say, is that most type 2 diabetics (type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune disease not impacted by this research) can stay well with diet, exercise and medication. But those who cannot control their disease face complications including heart and kidney disease, along with loss of limbs and visions. One person with uncontrolled diabetes can run up millions in medical bills. So a surgery that was considered extreme not long ago may become a standard treatment for many people with one of the most common diseases of modern times.
    This is hilarious. Or it would be, if it wasn't so tragic.

If only they would give diabetics sensible dietary advice. Many type 2 diabetics cannot "control their disease" because they have not been taught how to eat in order to control the disease effectively. The American Diabetes Association's dietary recommendations are a joke.

Sure, expensive surgery, life-long digestive disfunction, continuation of the diet that caused the problem in the first place -- sure, that's the way to go.

donlumber is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    More from the article:

This is hilarious. Or it would be, if it wasn't so tragic.

If only they would give diabetics sensible dietary advice. Many type 2 diabetics cannot "control their disease" because they have not been taught how to eat in order to control the disease effectively. The American Diabetes Association's dietary recommendations are a joke.

Sure, expensive surgery, life-long digestive disfunction, continuation of the diet that caused the problem in the first place -- sure, that's the way to go.
    My dad is one of the people that has type 2 diabetes and tells me all the time how the doctors can't seem to regulate his sugar. I watch him eat ice cream and cheese puffs and drink full sugar orange soda. I've argued with him, my mom did before she died. He's a full-blown diabetic in denial. SAD

meanwhile my dad has type 2 diabetes (has never been overweight, never had a sweet tooth, and has always been physically active). He tries to control it through diet and exercise but is losing the battle. I introduced him to primal a while ago, and he says that's basically what he's doing anyway. he really doesn't want to be on meds, but doesn't see any alternative due to the way things are going. BTW, he has tried to manage through diet alone since his diagnosis 9 years ago. just wanted to balance the "fat, lazy diabetic" thing that seemed to be taking place.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    When I was diagnosed with Type 2, the doc sent me to a class and to a dietician. The teacher and the dietician were both plump. The food message was "calories in, calories out." Fine to eat 3 carb servings at meals and 1 more at each of 2 snacks.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    When I was diagnosed with Type 2, the doc sent me to a class and to a dietician. The teacher and the dietician were both plump. The food message was "calories in, calories out." Fine to eat 3 carb servings at meals and 1 more at each of 2 snacks.
    I still remember when I started being vigilant about diabetes, after I went through a physical for MEPS. I had two immediate sources I bought into: Battling diabetics; and Dr. Neal F.Q. Barnhardt. The former talked about glycemic index; then talked about keeping a regularly scheduled eating plan. Meanwhile, the latter had talked about eating beans, rye, and pumpernickel; along with drinking fat free milk....

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    meanwhile my dad has type 2 diabetes (has never been overweight, never had a sweet tooth, and has always been physically active). He tries to control it through diet and exercise but is losing the battle. I introduced him to primal a while ago, and he says that's basically what he's doing anyway. he really doesn't want to be on meds, but doesn't see any alternative due to the way things are going. BTW, he has tried to manage through diet alone since his diagnosis 9 years ago. just wanted to balance the "fat, lazy diabetic" thing that seemed to be taking place.
    That's interesting, and I have heard reports like that before. Makes you wonder whether diabetes 2 is more multi factorial (ie. more complex) than presently thought.

yes. sort of off topic, but my kids all had ECC (early childhood caries) despite my best efforts. I hear news reports of the dramatic rise of ECC, and it's attributed to lazy neglectful parents who feed their kids soda in a bottle and all that crap. well, that certainly plays a role, but I know there are those of us who did what we could (above and beyond CW) and still ended up with extensive cavities. there's a part to this puzzle that we're not seeing, and it scares me because those of us who are trying and still failing are being mixed in with those who are just too lazy/discouraged to look for answers (and would be helped by just putting in the effort). My dad's diabetes and my kids ECC makes me wonder if there are shared genetic components to both.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    just wanted to balance the "fat, lazy diabetic" thing that seemed to be taking place.
    Guess I missed the fat, lazy, diabetic theme you found in the thread.

I do think replacing fat with sugar in the SAD diet might be a major factor for most folks struggling with type 2 diabetes.
    It just strikes me as crazy that removing bread or sugar from your diet is considered whacky, but folks would understand and think surgery is an acceptable answer.

Other factors for adult onset are destruction of the pancreas by alcohol, disease, removal by surgery, or progressive failure of the pancreatic beta cells that produce the significant amounts of insulin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast