Thread: Lisa's Primal Story (lkstory) page

lkstory is offline Junior Member

Lisa's Primal Story (lkstory)

Shop Now
    Lisa's Primal Story - Chapter 1 - Day 1

I first read about the paleo lifestyle back in October 2011. From October until Christmas I was 100% paleo/primal until Christmas vacation where I was out of my usual routine and surrounded by sweets and breads and other things that taste so good. I think I ate so much sugar that I forgot how fabulous I had felt for the weeks before Christmas!

I lost about 12 pounds that first six weeks. But, once I "cheated" for Christmas, I found I haven't been able to get back to it and stick with it. I've since gained about 5 of those pounds back.

I decided yesterday that today that I am starting the 21 Day Transformation plan in the book. I really need to get back on track and think this is the best way to do it. (Unfortunately, I just ordered the book today, but I'm just going to be 100% primal until it arrives and I truly know what I'm up against....) So, it will be more of a 23 day journey for me, but I'm okay with that.

I started this journey last June at an appalling 275 pounds. I lost about 13 just by doing my regular (also new, since June) Tae Kwon Do regimen. But, lost the additional 12 in about 5 weeks eating primal. So, I am down 25 pounds since last year, but that is NOT good enough!!!

This August I have two momentous things happening. 1. My cousin's daughter is getting married. I want to look good for the family wedding. But, even more important - 2. I will be meeting my brother in law and 4 year old niece for the very first time (after being married for 14 years! It's a long story...) and want to look fabulous when I meet them. I do not want to be overweight!!!

So, my overall goal is to lose absolutely as much weight as possible and gain as much fitness and strength as possible between now and August.

I haven't set up a signature line yet so I'll just sign it this way:

Lisa

SW: 275 - White Belt
    CW: 250 - Purple Belt
    August GW: 200 - Orange Belt

Final GW: 135 - Black Belt

2012 Taekwondo Goal - Green Belt

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Welcome Lisa. Hey, you can do this! Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Thank you Hedonist! I appreciate it.

Lisa's Primal Story - Chapter 1 - Day 2

My books will be here tomorrow. I can't wait to dive into them.

In the meantime, I can see that planning and over-planning are going to be the key for me. Knowing that I have something for lunch means I don't have to grab something quick or even-worse, use the vending machines. I'm thankful for a local health food store that has an absolutely killer salad bar. And, I have found that if I eat a large and satisfying lunch, I'm rarely hungry for dinner so I can really just have a small snack or water and I'm quite fine. I like eating like that.

Hurt my calf in TKD last night but it's minor and more of an inconvenience than anything else. I'll let it rest for a day or two and see what happens.

It feels good to write down that I want to aim for my black belt. I have never put that into words before. I test for Orange in two weeks.

Lisa

2012 Weight Goals: 25 Down - 50 to go.

Final Goal: 25 Down - 115 to go.

Day 3 - Morning

I am tired and hungry this morning. I packed some leftover meat for my lunch, but I can already tell that it won't be enough and will likely be gone before 10am.

Received my books a day early!! Dove into the 21 day TBT and it felt good to get back to basics. Left TPB on my husband's side of the bed. He'll look it it. I hope. I stayed up too late reading.

Just have to get through the next hour. I'll drink some water - that should help. Might be a long day.

Lisa

Update - Day 3.

Had a very good lunch of a cobb salad. Even was able to set aside the garlic bread that came with it. It didn't even occur to me to eat it. Very proud of myself for that small victory.

Unfortunately, this afternoon I am having some serious carb/sugar cravings. Not sure why... but I'm not giving in. It just isn't very much fun.

Off to TKD tonight.

Lisa

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    I like the belt goals

Lisa's Primal Story - Chapter 1 - Day 4

Woke up this morning feeling like I am catching either a cold or a mild flu - or some majorly annoying allergies. Whole body kind of aches, but that's not terribly unusual after a hard TKD workout, which last night's was. I have a ton of phlegm in my voice box and am extra tired - so we'll see.

First real test of my new choices will be the next few days. Dh is going out of town for business and the 10yo and I are going to go with him. I know what I can choose to eat from menus, but it will be hard.

Last night after TKD I was seriously craving chocolate or sugar. I did NOT give in, but opted to have a string cheese about midnight and that helped quite a bit. Weird.

Today will be an "off" day for me. Last day before a week of vacation, feeling awful, and didn't bring lunch. So, I'll snack a bit and grab a bite to eat from someplace healthy before hitting the road with dh.

Hoping that it passes quickly - haven't had a cold or virus since a year ago or so. It's been a fortuitous year for me for staying well!

Lisa

Lisa's Primal Story - Day ??

I was both on vacation and sick for 10 days away from my desk and my computer. So, I took a break from detailing my journey each day. Once I came back to work, I was just slammed from being gone for so long so it was hard for me to carve out a few minutes.

Today I can honestly saw that while my days off from here were not perfect, I did a pretty good job of staying away from most of the bad foods, eating good real food, and only having an occasional treat. Certainly not perfect, but I feel pretty good about myself and my journey.

I tested for my Orange belt on Saturday. It was such a hard test and I gave it 110% of effort so much so that I was really drained of energy for the rest of the day. I wouldn't have thought I would have been affected that much, but I truly was. I fasted from lunch on Friday until after testing (about 24 hours) because lunch was so big and I really didn't want to be all full and bloated for testing. I don't know if the fasting did any good or damage, but it sure took me awhile to bounce back.

It feels good to have testing done, though. I'll find out tomorrow if I passed or not.

Now that I have that test under my belt, I can go back to focusing on eating primal and slowing transitioning my family over as well. It is amazing how little wheat they eat when I don't buy it at the store. Ha!

Thanks and blessings!

Lisa

Today's chapter shall be called "Epic Fail" because I ate candy. And, not just one piece either. It was like a long-sleeping switch turned on and I ate piece after piece like, well, an addict.

I'm rather glad there isn't a candy-oriented holiday again for a while. That stint between Halloween and Easter is never-ending candy in all kinds of places.

Sigh. Definitely not a perfect day. I'm glad I can pick myself up, brush myself off, and continue on. I don't have to start over and I think that is one of the best parts!

Lisa