Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waking up at 3am consistently :(

Waking up at 3am consistently :(

Shop Now
    Hey guys,

Anyone know why after switching to primal I wake up at 3am as if an alarm clock inside my head went off. I heard a few things here and there that lack of carbs releases something in the body causing poor sleep, but not sure as to how accurate it is. On top of that I am in the 80-100g carb range per day, so that can't really be it, can it?

The two times I have had a sweet potato for dinner I did notice that I slept better, anecdotal evidence?

I lift heavy about 3x a week, FWIW.

Any insight would be appreciated!

what time do you go to bed? maybe your body is done sleeping at 3am. i only sleep about 4-6 hours per night, depending on the night and what time i go to bed. eating paleo for the past several years has only made that worse (better?). if i go to sleep any time before 11pm, i'm up at 3, ready to face the day. there are nights where i accidentally fall asleep around 9pm, and i'm screwed. up at 1am, ready to start my day

Our Chiropractor/nutritionist advised us that this type of thing is related to blood sugar.. she recommended have a small serving of protein (quality) before bed and see how it went.. made a huge difference for my husband.. best of luck!!!
    Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
    My journal...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

Do you stay wide awake or go back to sleep within a half hour. I almost always wake up sometime around 2 or 3 am and then go back to sleep until my alarm goes off at 4:15. Here an article written by Mark on sleep.

What is Biphasic Sleep? | Mark's Daily Apple

I go to bed about 11-12. I am awake and I can't fall asleep until 6! Then at 6 I fall asleep until 8:30 or so.

It is kind of annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by lamoka View Post
    Our Chiropractor/nutritionist advised us that this type of thing is related to blood sugar.. she recommended have a small serving of protein (quality) before bed and see how it went.. made a huge difference for my husband.. best of luck!!!
    I try not to eat 3-4 hours before bed. How close to bed is your husband eating the protein?

Eating dinner right before going to bed (~ 8 pm) stabilized my sleep pattern. If I eat a light dinner and way before bedtime, I wake up about 1-2 am, voraciously hungry and can't fall asleep for an hour or two. If I fast in the am and eat a large dinner before going to bed (at least 60% of daily calories) I still wake up about 2 am, but go to sleep almost immediately until I am ready to be up at about 3:45-4 am.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Eat more carbs (starchy tubers, sweet potatoes or maybe some fruit) closer to bed time...Don't eat vitamin D later than 2 pm (if you supplement with that).
    Take a walk on the wild side.

Leida, how much time between dinner and bed?

Shop Now
    30 min to an hour, whatever it takes to get to bed after supper, chat with my daughter & read a little.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.