Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would appreciate help with diet page

fithip is offline Junior Member

would appreciate help with diet

Shop Now
    I would so appreciate someone helping me with my diet and helping me figure out why I can't seem to lose the extra 10+ lbs I have sticking around. In high school I was never skinny but was very athletic, however I tested hypoglycemic from going overboard on grains, when I thought fats and esp animal meat were the devil and the sure fire way to be an awesome athlete was to eat pasta every night. 7 yrs ago I started eating a traditional diet (which in my opinion is pretty primal but with homemade sourdough bread added, and I was also eating some rice/potatoes). I was around 155 lbs, 5'4". 3 yrs ago I discovered primal eating and cut out grains and incorporate fasting. With regards to exercise I resumed being active as I have been my whole life, training for races including marathon's, plus playing competitive sports once a week and keeping active with my kids. Recently I got tired of running and changed it up, doing 6 weeks of intense plyometrics. Weight actually went up a few lbs!

During the last 3 yrs of all this I've gotten my weight to between 135/140, but ONLY through calorie counting (even with all the exercise I have to stick to 1200 on days I don't exercise and 1300-1400 calories on days I do exercise or I gain weight. Trust me, just limiting my diet to reducing carbs and periodic fasting is not enough). I don't eat fruit, either. What I do indulge in everyday will be something sweet (a brownie or some chocolate squares), and every other day or so a few glasses of wine with dinner. BUT I plan ahead and include that in my overall calorie count. Daily breadown seems to be:
    carbs average 80 g/day
    fat 50g
    protein 60g.

I do NOT east fast food or "diet" food, and the basis of my diet revolves around the grass-fed pastured products including raw dairy I get from a farmer. I also work out first thing in the morning (I get up at 5 am) and drink a cup of black coffee beforehand. So can anyone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. While I have not gotten my fat % tested, its still pretty obvious I have extra fat Do I have to totally abstain from eating even the 1 brownie I eat a day, or cut out drinking any alcohol? I've always felt like moderation was the key and I get nervous about trying to be TOO strict with my diet. Thank you for any help you have!!
    Last edited by fithip; 03-26-2012 at 10:23 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    During the last 3 yrs of all this I've gotten my weight to between 135/140, but ONLY through calorie counting (even with all the exercise I have to stick to 1200 on days I don't exercise and 1300-1400 calories on days I do exercise or I gain weight. Trust me, just limiting my diet to reducing carbs and periodic fasting is not enough).
    Your experience is fairly typical for women. Some threads of interest to you:

The Calories Revisted thread:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html
    The She-Groks thread:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread43603.html

By the way, I am the same weight I was 25 days ago however my clothes are falling off. I think a couple days of too many calories put some of that weight back on to my belly, despite exercise and despite tracking an overall deficit in my CI/CO tracking app.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Yes you can't expect to lose weight if you are eating sweets and drinking wine every other day. I've had success this last winter only eating carbs on the weekends and eliminating altogether on weekdays. I also don't "train" though, I just walk and am trying to get back in to weight lifting.
    Along with getting the carbs/grains/sugars out, you might also look in to cold thermogenesis to give yourself the boost you need.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    the last 10 lbs are the hardest, and a lot of times... it can be in your head! in other words, you're healthy and you look great, you just start to obsess. calories matter more & more as you get slimmer. for me, to be under 10% bodyfat - it's just not fun. i've gotten down there, and yeah it's cool to know you can do it, but the restriction and obsession isn't worth it. i'm just a happier, and i do believe healthier, person when i stay between 10-12%.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I've had success this last winter only eating carbs on the weekends and eliminating altogether on weekdays. I also don't "train" though, I just walk and am trying to get back in to weight lifting.
    fercehunter, for all the craziness you post on here about carbs in the winter leading to death, this is a stunning admission. good luck weightlifting in the winter in ketosis, btw.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    the last 10 lbs are the hardest, and a lot of times... it can be in your head! in other words, you're healthy and you look great, you just start to obsess. calories matter more & more as you get slimmer. for me, to be under 10% bodyfat - it's just not fun. i've gotten down there, and yeah it's cool to know you can do it, but the restriction and obsession isn't worth it. i'm just a happier, and i do believe healthier, person when i stay between 10-12%.
    I got to my goal weight then maintained up until I took the active job that messed up my body by not eating sweets on a regular basis. Period.
    I've tested the "sugar in summer versus winter" theory the last few summers- 2009 to present- and believe it. That some of you don't doesn't concern me in the least.

Yo fatties, you gotta read Lights Out by T.S. Wiley. It might take you a few summers to get it but once you do you will get it for good:
    Amazon.com: Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival (9780671038687): T. S. Wiley, Bent Formby: Books

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I got to my goal weight then maintained up until I took the active job that messed up my body by not eating sweets on a regular basis. Period.
    i'm glad that cutting sweets out on a regular basis created the overal caloric deficit that took you to where you wanted your body to be, regardless of fat percentage.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have found that fasting works for me. I am male, so it may not apply the same way. However, for me to get off the fat, then I fast. Most days I fast till noon or 1pm, and then I throw in a few days per week that I fast until 5-6pm. If I have more fat to take off, then I will have more days where I fast longer. The positive is that I still eat big, satisfying meals on either day.

sbhikes, thanks for the links. Kinda frustrating to hear its common, though. I was hoping for someone to see and immediately say "oh you need to do THIS!" and whala...!
    jakey I hear you, and maybe I just need to get down there to really see if its worth it But honestly at 140 and 5'4", I really could lose 10 lbs and probably still have a little extra to go after that.
    john, I think you're right, I probably need to fast longer. I've just been skipping a meal here and there instead of all day fasting. when I've gotten closer to 130 in the past it was definitely from longer fasting.
    fiercehunter, I have never heard of cold thermogenesis, off I go to look that up

thanks everyone!

but wait, I wanted to ask again about the periodic sweets and alcohol. If its included in my overall calorie intake (which stays at 1200 on days I don't exercise), I really need to cut that out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast