Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cholesterol/Bloodwork Results - Comments Please page

kendo is offline Junior Member

Cholesterol/Bloodwork Results - Comments Please

Greetings,

I just had my yearly checkup done and wanted to get some comments. Id love some general feedback and I have a couple of questions. I provided results from 2011 and 2012 to show changes. I have been Primal (80/20) for almost 2 years.

Im 38 years old. 511, 170 lbs, and approx. 14-16% body fat (according to my Tanita scale)

Results-

Test Date 3/17/11

Cholesterol (120-200) 190
    Triglyceride (0-150) 48
    HDL (40-85) 69
    LDL (0-100) 111
    Non-HDL Cholesterol (0-130) 121

Vit D 25 Hydroxy (30-100) 39.7

AST (SGOT 0-40 Unit/L) 42
    ALT (SGPT 0-48 Unit/L) 63

Test Date 3/19/12

Cholesterol (120-200) 190
    Triglyceride (0-150) 49
    HDL (40-85) 66
    LDL (0-100) 114
    Non-HDL Cholesterol (0-130) 124

Vit D 25 Hydroxy (30-100) 90.7

AST (SGOT 0-40 Unit/L) 36
    ALT (SGPT 0-48 Unit/L) 50

Questions/Comments-

LDL is a bit high?? I think Ive read this is common on the Primal diet. I was thinking about a VAP test until Marks article on the inconsistencies with these advanced tests.

How to Interpret Advanced Cholesterol Test Results | Mark's Daily Apple

WHat is non-HDL Cholesterol?

Vitamin D. In 2011 I had just started supplementing Vit D. In 1 year I went from 39.7 to 90.7 - taking 5000 IU per day. Looks like Im at the high end of the range but welcome any comments.

AST/ALT these are liver enzyme tests. Ive had elevated numbers for probably the last 5 years and they finally improved this year (ALT still a little high). A few years ago my doc was concerned, I had a liver ultrasound and all checked out. I have always wondered why they were high, what could be causing it? Does anyone know what the cause might be or if I should be concerned?

Thanks for any feedback!

-Kendo
    Last edited by kendo; 03-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Best to cut and paste your tests or enter them manually. The attachment can take a few days.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Thanks Dirlot for the tip. I edited including only text this time

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    AST/ALT – these are liver enzyme tests. I’ve had elevated numbers for probably the last 5 years and they finally improved this year (ALT still a little high). A few years ago my doc was concerned, I had a liver ultrasound and all checked out. I have always wondered why they were high, what could be causing it? Does anyone know what the cause might be or if I should be concerned?
    Hi fructose consumption caused my liver enzymes to rise even higher than yours. Mine improved pretty quickly to just above normal after going primal, and my guess is that the next time they are tested they will be even lower.

Your enzymes are improving which may point to healing, so keep doing what you're doing.
    It's possible that it's just taking longer to heal the damage.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Your cholesterol numbers are great. Getting the HDL a little higher would be good, but the rest looks fine. Low Trigs can throw off your LDL number, but even so it's not that high. Have you had a test to measure LDL particle type? With Trigs that low I'm betting it's all A, which is good.

With summer fast approaching and your D3 already at 90, if I were you I would stop taking D3 until winter to avoid toxicity.

Looks like liver enzymes are on a downward trend, which is good... probably cleaner eating is helping heal whatever elevated them.

Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post
    Hi fructose consumption caused my liver enzymes to rise even higher than yours. Mine improved pretty quickly to just above normal after going primal, and my guess is that the next time they are tested they will be even lower.

Your enzymes are improving which may point to healing, so keep doing what you're doing.
    It's possible that it's just taking longer to heal the damage.
    Good info, thanks. Yea since they were elevated for a long time and I'm almost 2 years into primal, it's probably just healing time - they are improving. I will "keep on keepin' on"
    Last edited by kendo; 03-26-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    Your cholesterol numbers are great. Getting the HDL a little higher would be good, but the rest looks fine. Low Trigs can throw off your LDL number, but even so it's not that high. Have you had a test to measure LDL particle type? With Trigs that low I'm betting it's all A, which is good.

With summer fast approaching and your D3 already at 90, if I were you I would stop taking D3 until winter to avoid toxicity.

Looks like liver enzymes are on a downward trend, which is good... probably cleaner eating is helping heal whatever elevated them.
    Thanks Danielle5690. I have not had an advanced test look closer at LDL particle type. I think I will now.
    Good point on the D3. I currently take a multi-vit with 1000 IU and then an extra 4000 IU supplement. I will pull the extra 4000 IU out.

How might I get my HDL higher?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Looks pretty good. I'd skip the VAP test as your numbers aren't anywhere near a level to be concerned about. Your ratios all indicate your at very low risk. Overall I'd just say keep up the good work.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    I agree, skip the VAP test. Your triglcerides are below 70 so you have big, fluffy LDL particles.
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    Thanks Danielle5690. I have not had an advanced test look closer at LDL particle type. I think I will now.
    Good point on the D3. I currently take a multi-vit with 1000 IU and then an extra 4000 IU supplement. I will pull the extra 4000 IU out.

How might I get my HDL higher?
    I'm planning to do the same with D3 - I'll be outside alot this summer and I live in the South... I probably don't need to take 5000 IU a day. I'm going to confirm with a test when I see my doc in about a month. From everything I've read, you want to keep your D3 levels optimal, but try not to go over that upper limit.

Basically, keep doing what you're doing and your HDL number should improve. Exercise, optimal O-3/O-6 ratio, and plenty of clean, healthy fats in your diet. I'm sure some people around here have found more specific hacks for raising it, but I can't remember them at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast