Thread: Composition of visceral versus subcutaneous fat page

yodiewan is offline Senior Member

Composition of visceral versus subcutaneous fat

Primal Fuel
    I read an article that was linked to in another thread about the difference in subcutaneous and visceral fat in humans. My question is how does this apply to fat that we eat from animals? I am maybe, hopefully, going to finally get a chest freezer and get a large amount of beef. I will of course want all the bones, organs, and fat. But is subcutaneous or visceral fat better? In our own bodies, visceral fat is more harmful, wheras subcutaneous is fairly benign. But I have no idea if eating the visceral fat of animals poses similar harm. I doubt it, but am just curious. Traditionally, visceral fat was prized as the best (see leaf lard in pigs). And it is harder, which would make me think it is more saturated and lower in PUFAs. I'm just thinking out loud. Please add any info or thoughts of your own.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have no idea, but my theory is that since fat is an internal organ, the difference between what it does to you when it's your own living organ vs what it does to you when it's someone else's and you eat it is entirely different.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    If your cow was not fed grains and lived on grass, all of its fat will be perfectly good to eat. If it was grain-finished, all of its fat will not be as good. I really wouldn't worry about where the fat came from on the animal.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    If your cow was not fed grains and lived on grass, all of its fat will be perfectly good to eat. If it was grain-finished, all of its fat will not be as good. I really wouldn't worry about where the fat came from on the animal.
    Agreed. I wouldn't say I'm worrying about it, I'm just curious.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Agreed. I wouldn't say I'm worrying about it, I'm just curious.
    It's a good curiosity. I think we have lots a lot of knowledge in a generation or three about nuances of how to use different parts of animals. I just found out, for example, that suet isn't just generic fat from a cow. It is the fat from around the kidneys and adrenals. Also, that there were specific breeds of pigs that were favored for their lard back in the day when lard had lots of a homestead and industrial uses.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

springnr is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    ... and in Okinawa I get sea weed fed pigs.

Okinawa Agu pork | Hello Okinawa!