Thread: How to Stay Primal in a Restaurant page

dbalch is offline Senior Member

How to Stay Primal in a Restaurant

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't like to eat feedlot meats, but where can you find pastured meat in a restaurant? There's a few places where I live, but what if you're out with family or friends?

This can be tough. What do you order?

Me. I look desperately for some lamb on the menu. As far as I know, lamb is much less part of the industrial food chain. This is mostly because, unlike beef, chicken and pork, it's not on the menu at fast food chains. That means there isn't enough demand to justify an industrial processing system. And in the US, alot of lamb is imported from Australia, where they raise meats better.

If there's no lamb, I look for eggs. They aren't healthy eggs, I know, but I'm hoping they are better than the industrial meats.

Unfortunately, I won't order salads. I believe in thoroughly washing all foods I'm going to eat raw. Then I soak them in a vinegar solution, then I rinse them again, all with filtered water. Restaurants are a nightmare in this regard. I know. I worked as a cook all through high school. I only eat cooked food in them.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    When I eat out in restaurants, I try to avoid the popular 'chains' because I don't trust the quality of their food.

I never eat salads because so many restaurants (even high end) use MSG on their greens to keep them fresh looking, and I'm extremely sensitive to MSG--I've learned after having a couple of 'attacks' after restaurant salads.

My major rule is that I never order beef and order fish if at all possible. Even when not wild caught, it's usually a better quality than most of the meat choices. Yes, if it's on the menu, I will order lamb over any other meat.

Many restaurants will prepare an omelet, even if it's not on the menu--and that's my 'insurance' if the rest of the menu is dreadful. However, I can usually find something.

Oh, yes. And I avoid ALL sauces or anything else that is used to 'cover' the meat or fish.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    When I eat out in restaurants, I try to avoid the popular 'chains' because I don't trust the quality of their food.

I never eat salads because so many restaurants (even high end) use MSG on their greens to keep them fresh looking, and I'm extremely sensitive to MSG--I've learned after having a couple of 'attacks' after restaurant salads.

My major rule is that I never order beef and order fish if at all possible. Even when not wild caught, it's usually a better quality than most of the meat choices. Yes, if it's on the menu, I will order lamb over any other meat.

Many restaurants will prepare an omelet, even if it's not on the menu--and that's my 'insurance' if the rest of the menu is dreadful. However, I can usually find something.

Oh, yes. And I avoid ALL sauces or anything else that is used to 'cover' the meat or fish.
    Interesting point on MSG in salad, something I never considered, thanks.