Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass-fed tallow = barnyard page

sarah k. is offline Member

Grass-fed tallow = barnyard

Primal Fuel
    I desperately want to be able to use tallow. I have a quart that I've been using little by little for more than 8 months, but when I cook with it, the whole kitchen smells like a state fair. My husband is not as sensitive to it as I, but I just can't use it often. Are there any tricks (besides using 1 part tallow to 3 parts bacon grease!)? Mushrooms are just not yummy sauteed in coconut oil.

Anyone? Anyone?

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I ended up mixing it with bird seed and hanging in the trees for the birds. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the tallow=barnyard. If you can find it, lard is of course awesome and flavorless.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    It does have a bad smell but it is divine used to cook french fries. Open a window. ;-)

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    My tallow that I render and clarify at home does not smell when I am cooking with it, except delicious. Is this bought or home rendered?
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    No idea. I just try not to pay to much attention to the smell and cook more onions!

sarah k. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    No idea. I just try not to pay to much attention to the smell and cook more onions!
    *like*

I did cook up a whole large onion with 1 1/2 lbs of mushrooms, but the smell never went away. I ended up tossing in more bacon grease, a bunch of chicken broth, and pureeing the whole thing for mushroom soup, which was delicious and only faintly barn-y.

The tallow I have is from a local organic/grass-fed farmer who renders it before sale, and his lard is just marvelous. But the tallow. I've had the same problem any time I've attempted to cook lamb kidneys and sometimes beef liver. I've followed all the typical deodorizing advice (soak in milk for 24 hours, etc), but it's still pretty stinky to me.

The one time I had great success with the tallow was when I cooked a Trader Joe's corned beef and ended up with a sickeningly dry piece of inedible meat. (I'm no dummy, I cooked it right. It was tender and it shredded up just fine, but it was waaaaay too lean.) So the next day, I broke it into chunks and fried them in tallow for a while, and it made a much better tasting meat. So I guess if there's already a very beefy taste, the tallow scent gets masked.

I just wish it were more versatile for cooking veggies and stuff.

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    I can't stand it and will not eat in. It repeats....ugh.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    This is why I'm not a fan of dry-rendered tallow: it smells and tastes like burnt fat. In my opinion, wet-rendering is the only way to go.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
    I can't stand it and will not eat in. It repeats....ugh.
    If it repeats something is wrong. I render my own from nice clean suet that I obtain from the whole topside/rump roasts we buy. I chop it into small bits & cook it at a low heat in a frypan, pouring the fat off frequently into a saucepan. At the end of this process I fill the saucepan with water and simmer it for an hour to clarify. Then refrigerate until set hard, puncture to let the water out from under the disc of fat, turn out onto paper towel and scrape the dirty stuff off the bottom and you should have beautiful pure white tallow.

I am lucky that I have a well ventilated verandah to do this (I us a camp stove) but a good exhaust fan in the kitchen should keep the smll away. The resultant white tallow should not smell when you are cooking with it.

If you have tallow that smells when you cook, I suggest you do the wet clarification described above and that should fix the problem. Note your tallow can be reclarified over and over.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Stanton View Post
    This is why I'm not a fan of dry-rendered tallow: it smells and tastes like burnt fat. In my opinion, wet-rendering is the only way to go.
    couldn't agree more! dry rendering tallow totally sucks. i'm convinced the bad flavor means something too - oxidation. i even 'wet render' my ghee at this point. i think it's a gentler way to handle any fat, and probably better.

and you're j. stanton, and your blog rocks my world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast