Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting out Ultimate Diet 2.0 and Intermittent Fasting page 2

Kate Gates is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    I actually agree with you on that point. I plan on trying this for a while but my ultimate goal is to find a plan that is reasonable and sustainable for the future. At the moment I have the extra time to invest in a more rigorous plan. I actually rather enjoy doing these sorts of things with little complexities because I enjoy setting up the plan for myself (but I can say I'm being much more lax with it, and not fretting over miniscule number crunching). IF is something I plan to continue for the foreseeable future because it simplifies my life and I enjoy eating bigger filling meals. I've just never done any carb load/depletion diets before and thought WHY NOT? I've got the time and freedom now that I will not have for the next seven years (grad/vet school).

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    I'm looking forward to following this journal -- keep up the postings!
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

This is going to just be a short-term self experiment because I will be entering a dual vet/PhD program at the end of the year and will not have the time to continue something like this. I'm going to switch back to a more simple primal IF plan at my maintenance intake. I love sprinting...I HATE pure steady state cardio, but I'll be mindful to not overdo it.

So, sorry about saying the same thing twice, for some reason my first reply did not show up, the internet is acting odd.

Cardio day=boring day

I did some sprints today with a bit of steady state cardio, sprints were good, ss was...bleh, all together was 40min. Overall, I just felt weak and not really into it. Wish I had gone outside, thought there would be rain but turned out to be sunny and 70s. I may opt for something more fun (like kickboxing! No lie my mom's taebo tapes introduced me to fitness) for cardio instead.

Weighted myself and suddenly dropped to 108.4, oh the magic of water weight loss! All measurements were the same, but I guess I'm doing a good job of "depleting" myself eh?

Hunger levels were right on par today, the first day I was ravenous, the second I had no interest in food, today though I got hungry for dinner and that just makes the whole thing much more fun! Food should be fun!

Lunch: A big ole tin of tuna, a cup of chopped avocado, and a small/medium yellow squash chopped and sauteed with a tsp of ghee (I LOVE the taste of ghee) with the regular spices.

Dinner: Poached salmon (in water, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger), sauteed cauliflower and kale with apple cider vinegar, salt, etc (I like the vinegar it makes it so tangy!)

Sweets (the BEST part): my 2 mini chocolate banana almond cakes (the recipe from the primal cookbook for pancakes but with protein powder and made in mini muffin tin) 70 kcal each with 2 tbsp of almond butter on top! I hadn't really planned this but I found that my stats were quite low and decided to have some of these I'd baked ahead of time. Plus I had a lonely packet of jason's almond butter in my cabinet.

Lots of liquids with lemon juice! I'm a sucker for tangy stuff.

Day three was good, with the exception of the working out part, which kinda just sucked if weather.com hadn't lied I would have gone outside but I acted the part of gym bunny instead.

SUPREME DEPLETION, I weighted 106.8lbs and shrunk a bit on a few measurements around the midsection. This morning I plan on doing a 30min turbofire kickboxing video, don't kill me! I know, I know, I shouldn't overdo it on the cardio, but I love my turbofire, its just so much fun! Later today I will be doing the...resistance? workout as prescribed in the gym. I'm actually looking forward to it because I like the routine set up.

Resistance workout was pretty much just awesome, the meal plan today was thus:

Lunch: 1 cup avocado, 3 hard boiled eggs and 1 oz dubliner cheese (I have a block of this from Costco, I should probably start eating it)

Pre-workout supplement: 1 zone bar (my bo is obsessed with these and buys them in bulk and they happened to fit the take "15 grams protein, 25 grams carbs" before working out scheme)

So my plan for the carb load is to have 6 refeed meals total, each with 100 grams carbs and 35 grams protein and 50 grams or less of fat total for the entire thing. Today I will have 2 meals and 4 tomorrow.

First refeed meal: 1 bagel with a tsp of honey, 2 containers of fat free chobani yogurt, one peach one black cherry. This really wouldn't have been my 1st choice but I ended up stranded on campus with no food, yogurt's never bothered me and I've been wanting a bagel because my bo eats them every morning and they smell soooo gooooood. Sometimes its good to indulge a bit to scratch that nagging food itch.

Second refeed meal: 1 cup rice, 1 cup butternut squash, 1 cup kale, 4.5 oz of pork tenderloin with some seasoning en such

Total intake today is around 2000 kcal, a little under probably, according to my fitness pal

Tomorrow is rest day! I'm gonna chill out, maybe take a nice walk, go eat out at fancy Mexican restaurant, it's gonna be a start of a banging weekend. For today tho, twas enjoyable, except the morning cardio, depleted morning cardio is pretty awful.

Team Oberg is offline Senior Member
    I follow a leangains protocol sort of, but altered to help me get that fitness model sorta body. Let me explain further what works for me.

First of all I never intentionally carb refeed, my body will tell me when it needs carbs, intentionally giving your body more carbs than it needs makes it tough to drop body fat. Any glycogen your muscles need they can get from your normal intake. Also, how I vary from Berkhan's approach is that I do not eat carbs after my workout, it stimulates insulin which blunts growth hormone, and we all know GH's affect on muscle building.

Next, I throw in the occasional long fast, 24+ hours but I emphasize occasional, I do it a couple times a month. There is nothing wrong with fasting more often, but with my 6-8 hour feeding protocol daily I do not feel the need for more.

Also, I have a tendency to eat a TON of calories from time to time, also not intentional, but every once in a while there are some days where I go to bed thinking, "holy shit I ate 4500 cals today." I suppose this helps keep your body on edge.

Here are my stats, 5'7, 137lbs, and 18% Bodyfat, measured by the electric current thing by a person at my gym. I eat as much as I want without counting calories and my body comp is still improving. Anyways, it isnt prefect or well-laid out, but it works for me and allows me flexibility
    *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
    Marilyn Monroe

Thanks for the input, I plan on doing something similar when I finish this program. I really want to move into something a little less maintenance and its good to hear that a plan similar to my future one (occasional carb feeds, 8/16 fast) works well for other people. I hope it will work out for me too.

Today's weight 108.6 lbs, makes sense, put on a little water weight, HOWEVER, I do feel "tighter" so...maybe a little muscle? Yah? My abs looked really nice and my measurements were still a little less than initially recorded (like 1/4 inch).

3rd refeed: 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats (had these left over, even though I've pretty much stopped eating oats) cooked with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 cup water (makes very fluffy creamy oatmeal) mixed with 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 scoop chocolate protein powder. 1 medium potato baked and cut into slices with some salt.

STATS: 474 kcal, 75 grams carbs, 8 grams fat, 33 grams protein

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast