Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More "Is paleo expensive" debating page

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member

Question More "Is paleo expensive" debating

Shop Now
    Just wanted to share a great guest post.

It's interesting how different perspectives can be drawn together like this.

We often talk on here about tips to keep the paleo budget in check, but this looks at it from a whole other perspective. Someone who understands the frugal lifestyle (which is more than just cutting out the coupons!), maybe you already know this, maybe you dont agree, but it is interesting, let me know what you think. it may be more applicable to the US in places.

The Expensive Paleo Myth Part 1
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

chia is offline Senior Member
    I spend a small fortune each month on just myself, and my dog...but i don't go out for dinners or lunches....I enjoy my meals and am never deprived. I try to watch it a bit...but ordering bison, getting organic veggies...free range chicken thighs..eggs..it adds up monthly and FAST...... I will never settle for less! I try to have sardines three times a week on alternate days for dinners ...to save on the chicken a bit, but that's about as thrifty as I've gotten. I also have to purchase whole rabbits and chickens for my dog..as well as lamb liver which I try to eat as well although it's crucial my pup gets it at least weekly.
    *sigh*..... the two of us are quite a pair... ;-) broke, but well fed... :-) (I'm in Canada...everything costs more here)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Karen De Costner has done a few posts where she tabulates the costs of her paleo meals. For a family of 4 she compares the cost of her meals to going out to Arby's for roast beef and cheddar sandwiches. And she compares both the supermarket staples and the fancy organic and grass fed staples. They always come out to more food, more nutrition and less cost compared to the fast food.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    I believe it. I spend $60/week on grass-fed beef and organic veggies. Expensive? Yes. But that feeds me for the entire week, usually with a little left over. I can't find a good tasting meal for less than $10/meal. Not to mention that it is more nutritious.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Ill be honest Im no frugal, but I choose to only buy the organic/grass fed stuff sometimes when i think its worth while. I know diet is well worth the investment, but I also know just by eliminating the abd stuff we are doing better than 90% of the pop. !
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Paleo is more expensive up front. In the long run, it will save you boatloads. I see how much money my grandparents shell out for pills. We won't even get into the money saved from hardly ever getting sick. Doctor's visits are expensive. Then, there's the allergy pills I don't need anymore. Oh, and I tan now instead of burn, so bye bye sunblock. I don't take whey, glutamine, BCAA's and all that stuff anymore, which is a $30/month savings, yet I've gained more strength now than ever. My grocery bill went up around 25%, but a lot of that is because my palate has expanded greatly and I enjoy a lot more food now.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I already cooked almost every meal from scratch and ate low carb before going paleo. And my husband has Parkinson's disease, so I don't have a partner who can help. So the main cost question for me is whether I am willing to pay a lot more for grass fed meat and pastured butter. I'm slowly moving in that direction. My local pre-order farm market has pastured eggs at a very reasonable price but the grass fed meat is even more expensive than Whole Foods 30 miles away.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    I find I eat less generally and am not spending money on snacks etc like before. I guess I'm cutting down on all the other things you can buy in a supermarket so I can buy at least some grassfed meat and organic cream and butter. eggs from a farmer, about the same as I spent on eggs in the market before. I buy organic lettuce, but fruits only if they are hte same or very similar price to on-organic. I have a family of four, and the food bill is not much higher than before...Goldfish and chocolate pretzels are expensive, too.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    A trick I found for the fruits, if you have a real hippie-dippie health food co-op kind of place, is to get the fruit marked "unsprayed" rather than certified organic. I asked once what the difference was and they told me that unsprayed is fruit they bought from somebody's back yard harvest. Since it's just somebody's back yard, they're not going to be able to be certified organic. Usually the back yard stuff tastes great, too, since back yard fruit tends to be varieties that taste good rather than ship good. It also helps to save money by buying the transitional produce. That is from farms that are in transition to certified organic. There's a couple of years they have to be in transition before they can be certified. You're not going to find these distinctions at a regular grocery or some place like Whole Foods.

As for grass-fed, I'd go for the grass-fed butter and cream and just buy lean regular meats if I was trying to save money. The pastured eggs are definitely worth it. Since having your own chickens is gaining popularity, it may be possible to trade a neighbor or co-worker for the eggs. We get eggs from time-to-time from a co-worker by trading backyard avocados and passion fruits. Not enough to keep us supplied all the time, but it helps.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    For the people who don't have copious amounts of time to go shopping and cook up every single one of those meals, I can see how people consider Paleo expensive since they have to invest time (=money) on top of expensive food. Fast food is so much cheaper overall because of the minimal time investment. Of course, all people value their time differently monetarily, so it's just we who make the choice to cook that have a lower value on the concept of time that could be invested elsewhere. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast