Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reducing omega 6 - What to cook with? page

Valkyria is offline Senior Member

Reducing omega 6 - What to cook with?

Shop Now
    I've been reading a bit about omega 6 and polyunsaturated fats today, but haven't quite managed to figure out what's the best fat or oil to cook with?
    I avoid dairy so butter is not an option.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Butter & ghee.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil is good, and so is tallow from grass fed beef.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    she said no dairy!

coconut oil is best for the highest heats. Otherwise Lard is a great choice, or fat you have rendered from meats if you are not lazy
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

I do wish I could use butter, I love the taste! It doesn't do me any good though ...
    So coconut oil is the only oil that's any good then? I do use it already, but it's nice to have other options as well. I can't afford grass fed meats so I guess rendering fat myself is a bit pointless then?
    I've no idea where to buy fats from grass fed animals though?
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Try checking with a butcher. They may give you the excess fat for next to nothing, and then render it yourself.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    My butcher charges a couple bucks a pound for grass-fed suet (un-rendered fat). It's a good option if you don't mind the work to render it.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Thanks for your suggestions. Looks like I'll have to have a word with a butcher then.
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth is nice to cook veggies and meats in, or any other stock you have on hand, then drizzle with EVOO or avocado oil right before eating. Bon appetit!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

You can cook with EVOO or regular olive oil, just don't push it to the smoke point (high-heat deep frying, e.g.). For normal sauteeing purposes or even some pan-frying, EVOO works fine. You can tell when you've crossed the rubicon because of changes to color and smell of the oil. It should retain its crisp clean EVOO smell throughout the cooking process.

I agree that tallow is a nice cooking fat, as is coconut oil, and (unhydrogenated) lard is also worth checking out.

Have you tried ghee? Some folks who can't handle butter can handle ghee, since the fat solids have been removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast