Thread: G.I. or carbs? page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

G.I. or carbs?

Shop Now
    Ive been reading an interesting article that says that adding butter to high carb veggies, reduces its GI.
    Is this important when trying to go low carb?
    Does this is theory lower the carb intake?
    And what is the correlation between low carb and low G.I? Im slightly confused about the two.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Butter specifically, or fat? Because carbs & fat together hasn't seemed to work well for the general public eating the SAD~

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Low GI means the carbs digest more slowly, which means the glucose hits your bloodstream gradually rather than all at once. I am type 2 diabetic with very efficient digestion--I don't find low GI does me much good to prevent spikes after meals. But my goal is to never let my blood glucose spike over 140, so if it worked for me, eating low GI could help me eat a little more carb without the damage to my body that comes from glucose and insulin spikes.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Butter specifically, or fat? Because carbs & fat together hasn't seemed to work well for the general public eating the SAD~
    Butter, lard, coconut oil etc. The good stuff!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Just to point something out, large amounts of refined and processed carbs and grains coupled with PUFA containing oils in the form of calorie dense food hasn't worked for the general SAD eating public. I wouldn't compare a baked potato with a bit of KG butter on it to a large order of french fries deep fried in shitty oil and smothered in salt.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    They're both to do with insulin resistance.

Adding fat does lower the GI of starchy foods, which helps preserve insulin sensitivity. It will vary from individual to individual whether this is advisable. e.g. someone wanting to build muscle may want a big insulin spike so they'd not add any butter, or just a little. On the other hand, someone with insulin resistance, or someone trying to lose body fat should (generally) attempt to lower the GI with fat.

As an aside, adding butter or fat to any vegetables, especially frying them, will improve the absorption of some fat soluble vitamins.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I've read sweet potatoes can be made in to "resistant starch" through refridgeration. Bananas also.

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Resistant starch

Eh, I tried this over the winter- be careful what you believe. I will be eating a few chilled potatoes and bananas this summer though for sure.

ToldUzo is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    I will be eating a few chilled potatoes and bananas this summer though for sure.
    Are you a cannibal?
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.