Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Typical Primal/Paleo Meals page

adr617 is offline Member

Typical Primal/Paleo Meals

Primal Fuel
    Hey Y'all,

I have been eating gluten-free for years and have been eating low-dairy/low-sugar for a few months, but I am ready to take the plunge into full primal/paleo (I haven't decided if I'm keeping the "grey-area" foods yet)! Hooray!

Anyways, I need help with building a daily menu. I searched through the message boards a bit to find a similar thread, but did not succeed. The internet provided some menus, but I want more!

Please share a typical primal/paleo menu/your go-to meals. If there's another thread that you've seen, redirect me please!

Thanks!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... tough one. Ummm, NOT!
    Let's see, Meat and veg.... occasional tubers too, but I'm not active enough to need a lot of tubers.
    Salads some days and cooked veg others. Lots of veg variety!
    Eggs of course, for breakfast or lunch.
    Organ meets (heart or liver) a couple of times a week... usually at breakfast or lunch with some eggs.
    But foods aren't nearly as meal segregated at they used to be.

Some dairy, like 10% fat greek Yogurt and whole raw milk.
    Some fruit.

I eat what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it.
    That generally means NO breakfast... and lunch anywhere from 11am-2pm.
    Dinner at around 6.... 7 in the summer when it's hot and the sun sets late.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adr617 View Post

Please share a typical primal/paleo menu/your go-to meals. If there's another thread that you've seen, redirect me please!

Thanks!
    For me breakfast will often be 1/2 a grapefruit (or a small bowl of berries, or some other piece of fruit), and a couple of eggs. Usually I'll have bacon or sausage as well, and sometimes steamed vegetables -- asparagus or something like that. Occasionally, I'll have cold smoked fish or I'll fry some lamb's liver or kidneys to go with the bacon. I generally try to have a tablespoon of butter with the meal to keep the fat content up -- maybe scramble the eggs with that, or just eat it off the spoon, or -- now and then -- spread it on a couple of gluten-free oatcakes.

Lunch is usually a large salad dressed with a tablespoon of olive oil and some cider vinegar or lemon juice, eaten with 2 to 4 ounces cold meat or fish and a couple of ounces of good quality unpasteurized cheese. I might have some fruit as well. Easy -- same most days.

Dinner will be a largish piece of meat or fish with steamed vegetables. I'll make sure I have, again, around one 15ml tablespoon of good fat, either cooking with it, melting it over the vegetables, or eating it off the spoon. Maybe, since I had butter for breakfast and olive oil for lunch, I'll use coconut oil for a change. Or I might have a made dish -- say chilli con carne -- and perhaps an avocado to accompany that. I might eat a bowl of natural yoghurt, perhaps goats' or sheeps', as my pudding.

I don't really snack. I often have some dark chocolate and what would be around an ounce or so of nuts, but it will usually be with a meal -- maybe stirred in the yoghurt. I have a coffee with double (heavy) cream in the morning and occasionally a drink -- perhaps wine or a glass of cider or the infamous Paleo Norcal margarita. I take the naturally fermented cod liver oil in the morning, and I take Naturalcalm magnesium supplement in the evening.

This sort of regimen (awful word) worked out as -- last time I checked -- around 2500 kcal's a day in the rough proportions 60% fat, 20% protein, 18% carbs, 3% alcohol (which doesn't add up to 100% LOL). Micronutrients were way up -- about double on most nutrients and far more on some.

Mark gives some sample meals in his book; Robb Wolf gives a full 30-day plan in his.

Another useful resource would be Sally Fallon and Mary Enig's Eat Fat, Lose Fat -- probably pretty cheap 2nd hand. That gives three sets of very detailed meal plans. It's not Paleo as such but it's a similar sort of regimen and you could miss out, or add in, to change the style to a more strictly Paleo one:

Amazon.com: Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats (9780452285668): Mary Enig, Sally Fallon: Books
    Last edited by Lewis; 03-25-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Mamame is online now Senior Member
    I'm sick of eggs so b'fast is usually leftover meat and veg from supper. Or if I have to cook veggies fast I'll do pan fried mushrooms and zucchini or snap peas in a bit of pork fat.

Lunch is a salad - spinach, 1/2 apple, sprinkle of nuts, avocado, whatever other veg is in the fridge and some type of meat.

Supper is meat and 2 or 3 veg.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamame View Post
    I'm sick of eggs so b'fast is usually leftover meat and veg from supper. Or if I have to cook veggies fast I'll do pan fried mushrooms and zucchini or snap peas in a bit of pork fat.

Lunch is a salad - spinach, 1/2 apple, sprinkle of nuts, avocado, whatever other veg is in the fridge and some type of meat.

if you check out balancedbites.com and go to their shirt section, you'll find a fitting phrase: "Dinner, it's what's for breakfast.."

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I like one-pan meals.

Breakfast
    Start some meat cooking in the pan. Liver, ground beef, steak, bacon, what have you. Add any veggies at the same time. When the meat's about half-way done, I crack a few eggs in there. Either leave them whole or scrambled.

Lunch
    Usually I don't eat any lunch but instead I exercise in a class or out in the sun. I make a point to get some sun each day because I work in an office with no windows to the outside. If hungry, I open a can of sardines or salmon in the bathroom so I don't spill fish juice in my office. Eat it with mustard packets.

Dinner
    Cook some kind of meat (usually air or sea creature since my man is CW all the way), steam some veggies, microwave a sweet potato and slather my own plate with butter. Add red wine and super dark chocolate for dessert.

Random indulgences (not every day)
    Berries with cream (sometimes whipped from a can, yeah, I know), fruit salad, a whole young coconut, figs and almonds or dates and walnuts, cheese, nuts, more chocolate than is necessary, beer (fan of microbrews), wine (live in damn good wine country), Indian lentils with rice, going out for sushi and miso soup, sneak a few french fries or bites of ice cream from the boyfriend's plate.

I've lost almost 30lbs eating this way.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

adr617 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Hmm... tough one. Ummm, NOT!
    Let's see, Meat and veg.... occasional tubers too, but I'm not active enough to need a lot of tubers.
    Salads some days and cooked veg others. Lots of veg variety!
    Eggs of course, for breakfast or lunch.
    Organ meets (heart or liver) a couple of times a week... usually at breakfast or lunch with some eggs.
    But foods aren't nearly as meal segregated at they used to be.

Some dairy, like 10% fat greek Yogurt and whole raw milk.
    Some fruit.

I eat what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it.
    That generally means NO breakfast... and lunch anywhere from 11am-2pm.
    Dinner at around 6.... 7 in the summer when it's hot and the sun sets late.
    Meat & Veggies. Seems like that's the answer and finding different combinations is the excitement.
    I'm curious how my body is going to change with "breakfast." I have always been a huge breakfast eater, but I see it's pretty common for paleo-people to not eat breakfast.
    Thanks for your reply!

adr617 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    For me breakfast will often be 1/2 a grapefruit (or a small bowl of berries, or some other piece of fruit), and a couple of eggs. Usually I'll have bacon or sausage as well, and sometimes steamed vegetables -- asparagus or something like that...
    Your menu seems to be pretty close to what I think I will fall into. Gotta love dark chocolate, wine, & cider

adr617 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamame View Post

Sounds easy & good!

adr617 is offline Member
    Sbhikes, I read your stats at the bottom of your post. I'm 5'1'' and starting at 136. I am hoping to lose a bit off my tiny frame. I want to try the things that worked for you! It seems like you kept your carb intake pretty low. Was that intentional or just happenstance?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast