Thread: struggling page

wendypet is offline Junior Member

struggling

Hey Primal mates. I am struggling, I am about a month into eating about 90% primal, and I have had mixed feelings and results. First week - digestion improved and after a mini 2 day carb flu energy was great. But a few weeks in - and not only zero pounds lost (I have 12 to lose) I actually gained two - very disappointing. Now my digestion is not great again, and energy has tailed off, and I think because of the lack of results I am a bit internally frustrated and second guessing a bit - and fell off the wagon big time today. I am capable of staying positive and starting over tomorrow, but still I am disappointed to not really have hard core proof and results from over a month into this. I accept this is not a "diet" but a way of life, and I embrace that - I just don't feel like I am getting the rewards that I deserve and that is not helping me stay the course.............. Trying some IF as well, even went about 22 hours last Sunday and was pretty proud of that. I have not been perfect, but I have eliminated grains about 98% and doing a lot of things right for sure. The weight I need to lose is cellulite, put on by major stress last year that caused my thryoid/adrenals to stop working, and those issues are tremendously better now - but I feel like maybe losing cellulite will be much harder than just losing regular bellly type of fat, but I don't really know. I am just a bit bummed and need some primal support. Thanks all, W

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Can you post a bit more about what you're doing--what are you eating, how are you sleeping, are you active, etc?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Major stress and adrenal issues may take longer than a month to begin to clear.
    Sad but true, and sounds like you may be getting results in that area already.
    I agree w/ Owly more details are needed, but the bottom line is if your body is damaged it needs time and support to heal. I know it is disappointing not to get the weight loss going right away, but it will come. Beyond the food, remember the other points from PB to address--sleep, sunlight, exercise, stress. How are you doing in those areas? I started to finally lose weight only when I reduced my stress and made the time to sleep. Taking hikes in the sunshine also helped. Make it fun and realize it is a process that you can / will succeed in over time.

Also please don't let the diet become a stress point also. So you fall off the wagon--just get back on again and again if needed. Overall, you are still improving your diet and you life. :-)
    Last edited by missblue; 03-25-2012 at 05:32 AM.

This is just it - I am doing so many things "right". I sleep great, usually 8 solid hours a night and wake up feeling good. I LOVE sun and make a point to get in it often (and take Vit D3). Overall stress is low, a few small stressors in life right now, but not overwhelming me by any stretch. And I started healing my adrenal/thryoid issues many months ago, so that part is not new, just going more solidly primal is new (5 weeks). As for food - lots of eggs, chicken, raw cheese, nuts, seeds, cooked and raw veggies, little fruit, occasional whey protein shake. A typical day might look like: breakfast, nothing or scrambled eggs and spinach, snack - a few handfuls of various nuts and seeds, lunch - raw salad or veggies, full fat organic cottage cheese, and maybe some dark chocolate in raw almond butter, dinner - maybe roasted veggies, or eggs, or a chicken dish. Again more dark chocolate or coconut macaroon for sweets. I could eat less dark chocolate, that is a weakness. Drink water, some green tea, and kevita (a probiotic drink with 4 carbs). I am active: hike 3-4 times a week, bike 1-2 times a week, trail jog (with some sprints or high efforts) - once a week, and some body weight strength workouts (but could do them more often and more intensely). Could I be better? Sure, could I be stricter, yes, could I lift heavy things more, yep, but overall I just feel like I do so many things pretty well that I deserve better results and looser fitting jeans by now. I am trying not to let diet become a stressor, but quite honestly, it is starting to become one now............ and doubts are creeping in. After watching "fat, sick and nearly dead" my brain tells me to do a week green juice diet, but primal doesn't really like veggie juicing, so I feel torn. I don't love mega high meat diets, and I know that I can't eat enough veggies in a day. there is just so much high quality information out there, it is hard to know what to believe, and while I was totally committed to trying primal, now with no results (fat loss) I am starting to second guess too many things..........

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I'm not usually a fan of weighing/measuring/counting, but that "a few handfuls" of nuts and seeds is setting off some alarm bells for me. Primal is not all about calories, but they do still matter, and nuts and seeds are calorie bombs if you're not paying attention. Also, dark chocolate a couple of times a day or coconut macaroons daily--maybe something to cut back if you're trying to lose some fat. You might have some stuff sneaking in there that is creating some issues for you.

I'd suggest *very honestly* tracking your daily intake on something like FitDay for at least a week. You may find patterns emerging that might illustrate where your problems are diet-wise. Could you try tracking for a week and then coming back to share your results so that people can help you troubleshoot?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    I quit snacking completely and that got my calorie intake in check and I never had cravings afterward, so I think Owly is onto something. Also, keep track of your carb intake and limit it to under 50 grams a day (less if you're still not losing) and spread it out over all of your meals as well as possible. I hit about a 6 week weight loss plateau earlier this year and I was able to break through it with those changes, along with IF. You can do this!
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

Ok thanks. Yeah, one of my goals is to quit snacking as much as possible, that is tough - as I am at a semi slow desk job (but I get up and move around all the time). And I love nuts/seeds, so I probably eat too much for fat loss right now so I will cut those down (and dark chocolate too) but the more I start to kind of over focus on every bite the more goofy I can get over all this too, so it is a fine line. Nuts/seeds are my go to snack for sure and I am not sure what else I can snack on - maybe I will try to change over to some raw cheese and veggies. I will try fit day again, I tried it a few weeks back but got super frustrated with it really not having the ingredients/items I eat so I found it hard to use, but I will try again. I just know I need to keep this "simple" or I will get irritated with it! I just want to live happily and relaxed about food and not have it consume me ya know! But I am not truly happy with myself with this extra 12-13 pounds and tight clothes either........ Ok back on the horse, I will check out fit day and try to commit to a week of counting as best I can. Thanks.

sharty is offline Junior Member
    Good post! I have been on the same track and no weight loss. Gonna cut out the nuts and see if that helps.
    Don' be afraid.
    No hurry, no worry.
    Started 2/15/12, 5'07 / 168

UniqueTII is offline Senior Member
    A jar of almonds or macadamias was always my snack of choice as well...I miss them sometimes but more out of habit than a need for food.
    I wish I liked to eat liver.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You may be underestimating how much you're taking in when you snack... that's extremely common. Try eating plenty at meals to keep you full and then not snacking at all. It's much simpler that way, actually. You just don't put anything in your mouth but water unless you're sitting down to a proper meal. That way you don't have to obsess over the calorie content of every bite, you just eat your 2-3 good meals each day and be done with it. I find it pretty liberating.