Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Learn to Like Avocados page

Help Me Learn to Like Avocados

I have heard (it seems like) all my life how very nutritious and wonderful avocados are. It seems to be the only thing Vegans, CW-eaters, and Primal people all agree on. Living in the land of Tex-Mex food, it seems that guacamole is served on every table right next to the salt and pepper, and people build shrines to the holy avocado . . . And I hate the way they taste.

At least, I used to. Now it seems like so many of my tastes are changing (do we all do that?) that it might be worth trying again. But I'd like to ease into it. I thought I'd try disguising the avocado a little and then gradually, after a several sessions, remove the other flavors until I can finally eat just the avocado unadorned.

So, what are your favorite ways to make avocados not taste like themselves?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    No.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    First of all, are you sure it's the avocado? I used to think that I hated it, but I realized two things: #1. I hate (and may be mildly allergic to) cilantro, which is in guacamole a lot. It tastes like soap to me. #2. I don't like avocado straight up--it needs at least salt and lemon or lime, and garlic doesn't hurt either. Now, I dream about them, because they are so wonderful. Amazing, considering I thought I hated them for a number of years. Made chicken salad recently with avocado instead of mayo, mmm....

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Try a different variety of avocado. Hass is what they usually sell in the store. Fuerte and bacon are slightly smaller and not as astringent. They're good sliced up with salt and lime juice and a little paprika. Reed are about the size of a softball and round. They're buttery compared to a Hass and make incredible guac. Any of these would be good sliced on a burger as well. My brother made deep fried beer-battered avocados last night, which were obviously not primal but you could dredge them in coconut flour and fry them in bacon grease or coconut oil I suppose. You should be able to find the more unusual varieties at a farmer's market.

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    My daughter and husband eat them plain and love them. I can barely choke them down. But, I love my "easy guac". I smashed the avocados with lemon or lime juice, then I add my favorite salsa, and a tsp or two of italian dressing mix (this is my secret ingredient, but use whatever seasoning you like). I usually hate guac from restaurants, but I like this.

I've also seen recipes for chocolate pudding using avodados, but I've never tried it. You could probably sneak them into smoothies.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    avocado chocolate pudding is pretty good

start small, chunk half of one up in bits then add them to food

you might never love them, i don't, but i can't taste them with other food
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    I love my avocado plain. I can slice one open and just take a spoon to it.

I used to mash some up with garlic-salt, lime and some diced fresh jalapeno as a quick guac...still do sometimes for lettuce tacos. Mostly though, I like it all natural!

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    I can eat avocado plain, usually in a salad. I do have an easy guac recipe though - one avocado mashed, chopped red onion to taste, cilantro to taste, and a couple teaspoons of lime juice - mix and serve. Sometimes I mix in fresh salsa too, but mostly it's just the four main ingredients. I will say that it is an acquired taste; I was not fond of avocado when I was younger but now I love them.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalkyle View Post
    I love my avocado plain. I can slice one open and just take a spoon to it.
    Yep, me too. Love avocado, could eat a whole one all by itself no problems at all. However, as a child I just did not see the attraction. I really can't see the point in eating something that you just don't like though?
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When i cook burgers i like to eat them with onions, sour cream and avocado.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast