Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Learn to Like Avocados page 3

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I only use Haas - I don't like the larger, bright green California version. Making sure they are ripe is key. Until you find a way you like, buy one at a time. Choose one that has a darker pebbled skin that yields to gentle pressure. I like to take a half, cube it, then add diced tomatoes, 1 oz or so of diced aged cheddar, olive oil, salt and pepper. There is something for me with the combo of avocado, sharp cheese and tomato, with olive oil to soften and bind. It's yummy! Sometimes I add in diced roasted chicken or tuna. All ingredients are a 1:1 ratio.

Don't ever cook avocado in a recipe - it gets bitter.
    This sounds like a great 'salad'! I will be trying this!

Primal Joyce is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    My personal favorite - braise a pork loin, shred it up and top it with cream cheese, sliced avocado and fresh tomato salsa. OH MAN!
    I think I just had a foodgasm reading this.
    "And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!"

patski is offline Senior Member
    Avocado Chocolate Mousse/Pudding:

1 ripe avocado, mashed until smooth
    1 tablespoon or so of good quality cocoa
    Maple syrup to taste

Combine.

OMG YUM.

DO NOT SHARE. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Now, I love them so much I could rub them all over my face and call myself a bitch.
    LOL!

This is why I love you, Choco.

On another note: I thought avocados were relatively high on O3s, even though they are still high on O6s?

Fuck the internet, man. I read it somewhere.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    Avocadoes don't have much n-3, but their n-6 content isn't too high relative to the overall fat content. Avocado fat content is something like 75-80% monounsaturated, with the remainder about 50-50 between saturated and polyunsaturated.

Personally I'll mix them in with some other veggies, or put them over top of a steak or burger. Didn't like them in the past, but tried them again recently and am definitely a fan now.
    Their omega 6 content is significant and percentage wise is higher than what many of us are shooting for as a healthy percentage of fat intake overall. Thus it's advisable to take their omega 6 content into account, especially for someone eating olive oil, chicken, nuts and seeds in quantity.

That said, it's not nearly so easy to over-consume omega 6 eating avocados as it is eating olive oil or nuts, so for many it's not an issue.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-27-2012 at 04:55 AM. Reason: clarification
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

paleo-bunny, do you have a nutrients/fact list on avocado?
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    paleo-bunny, do you have a nutrients/fact list on avocado?
    In an average California avocado there's about 2.3 g omega 6, and 0.15 g omega 3.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Avocados, raw, California

11% of the total fat content in avocados is omega 6.

One thing I'd like to know is how far monounsaturated fats (omega 9) mitigate the inflammatory effects of omega 6.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-27-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added last line
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Avocado is one of the only things that tend to rot in my fridge. They sell the buggers in 5 packs, and it takes me forever from avocado to avocado. My problem is that they are too high in carb to fit in a low-carb/high-fat day and too high in fat to fit into a low fat/high carb day.

I usually mush 1/2 avocado with lime juice, garlic and salt and add to a can of tuna as a per-workout snack.

Here are some more recipes, some of them actually sound not too bad:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_me...vocado_recipes
    Last edited by Leida; 03-27-2012 at 07:33 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    In an average California avocado there's about 2.3 g omega 6, and 0.15 g omega 3.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Avocados, raw, California

11% of the total fat content in avocados is omega 6.

One thing I'd like to know is how far monounsaturated fats (omega 9) mitigate the inflammatory effects of omega 6.
    I'm curious to know how omega 6 FA in avocado behave as opposed to the rancid omega 6 FAs we find in vegetable oils...

Fresh O6 as opposed to bleached, rancid, GMO O6...
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I'm curious to know how omega 6 FA in avocado behave as opposed to the rancid omega 6 FAs we find in vegetable oils...

Fresh O6 as opposed to bleached, rancid, GMO O6...
    Most O6 are inflammatory as far as I'm aware ... but yes, fresh is nowhere near as bad as bleached, rancid, GMO O6.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast