Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Learn to Like Avocados page 2

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieCalledGia View Post
    Now it seems like so many of my tastes are changing (do we all do that?) that it might be worth trying again
    When I first started Primal, I bought an avocado. I had never had one in my life, but I was going to try something new since Mark spoke so highly of them. I could hardly eat it - it tasted awful. It was like eating wallpaper paste. I barely got it down and chucked most of it. Now, I love them so much I could rub them all over my face and call myself a bitch. It's astounding how much my tastes have changed in the past year.

Quote Originally Posted by MarieCalledGia View Post
    So, what are your favorite ways to make avocados not taste like themselves?
    Avocados are great simply sliced up with a little sea salt, lime juice and fresh cilantro. Maybe a sprinkle of cumin and black pepper if you wanna go crazy. My personal favorite - braise a pork loin, shred it up and top it with cream cheese, sliced avocado and fresh tomato salsa. OH MAN!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    one does not simply....learn to like avocados......

it takes time. try eating awesome guac for awhile, that helps

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever tried it in a hand roll? Julienne some raw carrots, cucumbers, daikon radish, sprouts, add plain avocados, sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds (or gomashio which is mixed with sea salt) and wrap them in nori (seaweed). You can also add steamed shrimp, smoked salmon or crab meat. Typically hand rolls come with rice, but I eat them without the rice.

MediterrAsian.com Blog Sushi Hand Rolls (Temaki-zushi)

http://www.food.com/recipe/gomashio-...ame-salt-53039

You could also try adding them to BLT wrapped in lettuce (minus the bread).
    Last edited by Fiji; 03-25-2012 at 12:55 PM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    If you don't like them why eat them?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    They're high in omega 6, with a high O6:O3 ratio.

I love the taste tho!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure it's ripe before you eat it?

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I only use Haas - I don't like the larger, bright green California version. Making sure they are ripe is key. Until you find a way you like, buy one at a time. Choose one that has a darker pebbled skin that yields to gentle pressure. I like to take a half, cube it, then add diced tomatoes, 1 oz or so of diced aged cheddar, olive oil, salt and pepper. There is something for me with the combo of avocado, sharp cheese and tomato, with olive oil to soften and bind. It's yummy! Sometimes I add in diced roasted chicken or tuna. All ingredients are a 1:1 ratio.

Don't ever cook avocado in a recipe - it gets bitter.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    They're high in omega 6, with a high O6:O3 ratio.

I love the taste tho!
    Avocadoes don't have much n-3, but their n-6 content isn't too high relative to the overall fat content. Avocado fat content is something like 75-80% monounsaturated, with the remainder about 50-50 between saturated and polyunsaturated.

Personally I'll mix them in with some other veggies, or put them over top of a steak or burger. Didn't like them in the past, but tried them again recently and am definitely a fan now.

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    I pretyt much cut in half, scoop out stone, and eat. So I guess I'm not much help. I blenced one with a can of coconut milk last night and a scoop of cocoa powder, it was tremendous.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    If you don't like them why eat them?
    before i liked avocados, i got cravings for them all the time. it was really weird. i still crave them and i'm not 100% in love with them. more like 50%

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast