Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 104

Thread: Raw Milk Fast page 6

  1. #51
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you don't want to mess with thermo-ferment yogurts there are some good meso-ferment yogurts too.
    Some are thick consistency, some thinner, some more tart, more mild, or more... umm cheesy.

    Mesos are really cool. No fiddlin!
    But I still like a good multi-strain thermo too.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  2. #52
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    If you don't want to mess with thermo-ferment yogurts there are some good meso-ferment yogurts too.
    Some are thick consistency, some thinner, some more tart, more mild, or more... umm cheesy.

    Mesos are really cool. No fiddlin!
    But I still like a good multi-strain thermo too.
    Meso-thermo-multi strain-huh? Please explain or give links. Now I'm even more confused.

  3. #53
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Meso-thermo-multi strain-huh? Please explain or give links. Now I'm even more confused.
    Mesophilic yogurt cultures are like kefir, they do their stuff at room temp so no heat is required.
    Depending on the milk/fat and strains of bacteria used there are lots of different flavor and consistency possibilities.
    Like kefir most meso cultures are reusable to infinity and beyond in dairy(using pasteurized dairy to keep a clean culture then using that to inoculate your raw dairy for consumption).
    Here is a link with lots of great meso cultures!
    Yogurt Starter | Yogurt Cultures

    Thermophilic yogurts are the usual kind that need heat to do their magic. Some kinds have only a couple of strains of bacteria, but i tend to prefer one with several in it. You can make a culture of this and use it to innoculate several batches of raw dairy as well. But with multistrain it's best to not reuse too long. My method is to make one full batch with the packet of starter in good organic pasteurized dairy, and then use that up inoculating batches of raw milk with doses of it. Then I just make another fresh starter batch. If it looks like time is up for my starter batch and it's going to go bad before I use it up I just eat that too, but it's usually not a problem for me... I make dressings and stuff with yogurt. More for my money, but still not getting too far away from the original blend of strains because through repeated cultures some strains out compete others and you end up with a basic couple of strain yogurt so you aren't getting the benefit anymore.
    As far as thermos go... I like this one, it has 5 strains of bugs instead of the standard 2 or 3.
    Yogourmet Casei Bifidus Acidophilus Probiotic Yogurt Starter, 1 Ounce, 6-Count Boxes (Pack of 2): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
    Last edited by cori93437; 05-16-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  4. #54
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,089
    this is a common ayurvedic healing process.

    a friend of mine took her very sick son (he was 7 at the time) to india to a hospital there, and they put him on colostrum (goat), and then onto raw, whole cows milk for two weeks, and hten slowly introduced foods. He got massages throughout the whole time (sort of like acupressure), and also did yoga. Apparently healed him of 20,000 problems.

    came home, followed WAPF diet, and is doing fine. I think he's 14 or something now? maybe even older. Anyway, active kid, getting all muscly and stuff now. Drinks LOTS of raw milk even still.

    My kid gets about 2 cups of raw yogurt per day. He would drink the milk non-stop if we could afford it. It's $7/liter for milk -- that's 2 pints. In the US, we could get a gallon for that amount of money -- 8 pints!

    If I were to do this here, it would be $14/day (3 pt milk; 1 pt kefir) plus berries I guess. I'm not down with kombacha. :P In the US, it would be $3.50 per day, which is actually super cheap all things considered.

  5. #55
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    <Kiss,kiss,kiss> Thank you, Cori.

    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    this is a common ayurvedic healing process.

    a friend of mine took her very sick son (he was 7 at the time) to india to a hospital there, and they put him on colostrum (goat), and then onto raw, whole cows milk for two weeks, and hten slowly introduced foods. He got massages throughout the whole time (sort of like acupressure), and also did yoga. Apparently healed him of 20,000 problems.

    came home, followed WAPF diet, and is doing fine. I think he's 14 or something now? maybe even older. Anyway, active kid, getting all muscly and stuff now. Drinks LOTS of raw milk even still.

    My kid gets about 2 cups of raw yogurt per day. He would drink the milk non-stop if we could afford it. It's $7/liter for milk -- that's 2 pints. In the US, we could get a gallon for that amount of money -- 8 pints!

    If I were to do this here, it would be $14/day (3 pt milk; 1 pt kefir) plus berries I guess. I'm not down with kombacha. :P In the US, it would be $3.50 per day, which is actually super cheap all things considered.
    It was a common western healing technique a century ago too. Some of the source material linked by Richard and others approaches it from this perspective. Giving your body deep nourishment in a very readily accessible form so that it can devote all its energy toward healing.

    I'm beginning to think that the kombucha is really not necessary. Extra carbs when you are getting your probiotics from the kefir.

    Yesterday, once again I did not get around to the full three pints of milk, I only had two. And I lost another pound. That's 8lbs in 3 days. (It would be 10 but I am not counting the two pound of post special dinner bloat I had the first day).

  6. #56
    Gladmorning's Avatar
    Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Oh, I can't express how jealous I am! I have dreams about Jersey milk from my own cow. I would love that cow so much she'd have a fresh wreath of flowers around her neck every day
    Yeah, I pretty much worship her. She gets daily brushing, scratches, body rubs and apples after each milking. I am in love with my Mosey cow.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

  7. #57
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Yeah, I pretty much worship her. She gets daily brushing, scratches, body rubs and apples after each milking. I am in love with my Mosey cow.
    Sounds like you and the cow are both lucky.

    Well, It's halfway into my fourth day and I just got my first craving. My order just arrived from US Wellness Meats and one of the things in it is a pound of a new product they are offering, BEEF bacon. For those of us who like the taste of bacon but don't eat pork, this is perfect. I think that bacon will be my first solid food whenever I finish this milk thing.

    It really is remarkably easy though. I am not hungry at all. Perhaps the bacon craving is really about salt.

  8. #58
    Gladmorning's Avatar
    Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    531
    So, I got up this morning determined to do this. Eh... Didnt pan out. I was offered 24 hour smoked pork. Cant pass that up! I did have a pint and a half of milk to sub for meals when I got hungry. Tomorrow is my adf down day. Struggling with whether to do my normal down day, or start the milk fast. I have this sinus infection I just cant kick. Wonder if the milk will help?
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

  9. #59
    Yoga11's Avatar
    Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Yeah, I pretty much worship her. She gets daily brushing, scratches, body rubs and apples after each milking. I am in love with my Mosey cow.

    I'm sorry.. I know this is totally off topic BUT I HAVE TO ASK!!


    because you love your cow so much... is it hard to eat beef??

    I'm sorry I have to ask! I only ask because I have animals and I've found it hard to eat certain things...
    just curious if I'm being cra cra!

  10. #60
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    So, I got up this morning determined to do this. Eh... Didnt pan out. I was offered 24 hour smoked pork. Cant pass that up! I did have a pint and a half of milk to sub for meals when I got hungry. Tomorrow is my adf down day. Struggling with whether to do my normal down day, or start the milk fast. I have this sinus infection I just cant kick. Wonder if the milk will help?
    I could definitely see this as an easy way to do the alternate day fasting low calorie days.

    Give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •