Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw Milk Fast page 5

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Awesome, great to hear it's starting out so well for you. I really wanted to start this week but we're being forced out of our rental house due to a bird (and bird mite) infestation and I can't fit a week's worth of raw milk in our RV fridge. Hopefully I can start next week.
    I have committed to a week trial of this. Bought the supplies. It does make grocery shopping simple and it's nice not to have to cook when it's so hot.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Oh, I can't express how jealous I am! I have dreams about Jersey milk from my own cow. I would love that cow so much she'd have a fresh wreath of flowers around her neck every day
    The Sacred Cow.

Are you in Portland OR or ME? I used to live in PDX and lots of people do milk runs to Washington.

The other option would be to use something like Norris milk and culture it yourself. Homemade yogurt and kefir from that milk would be a very close second anyway. I don't have my awesome Jersey milk source anymore but when I culture the brown swiss milk it digests as well as the really good stuff.
    Norris milk? Richard was doing his own kefir making for this experiment. I would like to try that too seeing as how the only raw kefir that Organic Pastures sells is nonfat.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Portland, Maine?
    To my knowledge it is only legal to buy it at the farm. I live in the southern part of the state, where there is more development and fewer dairy farms. I didn't find one listed in a county anywhere near me.
    Bummer. Some good info here for others wanting to know where their states stand on this. A Campaign for Real Milk | A Project of the Weston A. Price Foundation

I don't drink fresh milk because I am lactose intolerant, and cooking it does something very bad to the casein that I react to. I'm not sure what Norris milk is. Is that a breed of cow?

If I had access to raw milk I would try it. I don't have an issue with yogurt except I just don't want it very often. I'm okay with cheese and heavy cream.

I couldn't come to grips with the idea of going on an all-yogurt fast. That would kill my appetite.
    If you problem with milk is just with the lactose not the casein, drinking it raw solves the problem. Some unlucky folks are intolerant of both.

Paleobird Guest
    A question for the fermentation experts around here.

Would the grains needed to make kefir be different if one were using goat as opposed to cow milk?

I am thinking about trying this milk intervention sometime but with all goat products instead.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    A question for the fermentation experts around here.

Would the grains needed to make kefir be different if one were using goat as opposed to cow milk?

I am thinking about trying this milk intervention sometime but with all goat products instead.
    All dairy kefir uses the same grains.

Can even be used with nut milks/coconut milk or *shiver* soy milk (may the gods forbid!).
    If using the dairy kefir grains to make nut/coconut milk kefirs you have to make real milk kefir with them every few batches to revitalize the grains... or they poop out on you.

I hear some people say coconut milk kefir is quite nice. But I've never gone there.
    I just use coconut milk for cooking, and sometimes I separate the watery part off and make whip out of it.

The first batch when you switch milks doesn't always come out just right though as the culture takes a bit of adjustment. Might be a good way to split a set of grains though.
    Last edited by cori93437; 05-15-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    PWM, not PDX.

I don't drink fresh milk because I am lactose intolerant, and cooking it does something very bad to the casein that I react to. I'm not sure what Norris milk is. Is that a breed of cow?

If I had access to raw milk I would try it. I don't have an issue with yogurt except I just don't want it very often. I'm okay with cheese and heavy cream.

I couldn't come to grips with the idea of going on an all-yogurt fast. That would kill my appetite.
    Sorry, Norris milk is just a local farm in Portland, OR.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I tried Raw milk and cream. I love it. But I can't drink it because I'm lactose intolerant. It has worse effects on me than pasturized milk or cream.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

Norris milk? Richard was doing his own kefir making for this experiment. I would like to try that too seeing as how the only raw kefir that Organic Pastures sells is nonfat.
    Sorry, again about the Norris milk. I thought she might have been from Oregon and that was a local supplier.

For what its worth to you I make kefir from raw whole milk and the fat just rises to the top and gets sort of foamy and mixed up with the culture and has a more sour taste than the rest of the milk. Kefir is one place where I actually don't like the fat.

The cultures are the same for all animal milks. Goat and sheep are great because the fat doesn't separate so I think that would make the kefir and yogurt making much better in my opinion.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    All dairy kefir uses the same grains.

Can even be used with nut milks/coconut milk or *shiver* soy milk (may the gods forbid!).
    If using the dairy kefir grains to make nut/coconut milk kefirs you have to make real milk kefir with them every few batches to revitalize the grains... or they poop out on you.

I hear some people say coconut milk kefir is quite nice. But I've never gone there.
    I just use coconut milk for cooking, and sometimes I separate the watery part off and make whip out of it.

The first batch when you switch milks doesn't always come out just right though as the culture takes a bit of adjustment. Might be a good way to split a set of grains though.
    Thank you, Cori. You are a fount of info.
    I have had store bought coconut kefir before and it is good but the only brand I have seen is the SoDelicious stuff that has all kinds of gums and stabilizers in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    I tried Raw milk and cream. I love it. But I can't drink it because I'm lactose intolerant. It has worse effects on me than pasturized milk or cream.
    That sucks. You may have a casein problem too. Usually raw milk works as long as the intolerance is only the lactose.

For what its worth to you I make kefir from raw whole milk and the fat just rises to the top and gets sort of foamy and mixed up with the culture and has a more sour taste than the rest of the milk. Kefir is one place where I actually don't like the fat.

The cultures are the same for all animal milks. Goat and sheep are great because the fat doesn't separate so I think that would make the kefir and yogurt making much better in my opinion.
    Hmm. Maybe that's why the Organic Pastures people make their's nonfat. I would like to try it with goat milk. It has more fat and less carbs as well.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I think the soDelicious coconut yogurt is like that because people are afraid of full fat and they have to gum it up to add body.

With real full fat coconut milk kefir it is already very thick and creamy.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I think the soDelicious coconut yogurt is like that because people are afraid of full fat and they have to gum it up to add body.

With real full fat coconut milk kefir it is already very thick and creamy.
    Probably so. Full fat coconut kefir sounds yummy.

I don't know why but I have yet to break though the psychological barrier of fermenting my own stuff (veggies, yogurt,whatever). I just have this weird paranoia that I am going to get it wrong and create some nasty deadly microbe.

I really should get over that. I've gotten past being squeamish about offal and even made head cheese complete with sheep eyeballs looking out of my crockpot. I don't know why fermentation scares me.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Probably so. Full fat coconut kefir sounds yummy.

I don't know why but I have yet to break though the psychological barrier of fermenting my own stuff (veggies, yogurt,whatever). I just have this weird paranoia that I am going to get it wrong and create some nasty deadly microbe.

I really should get over that. I've gotten past being squeamish about offal and even made head cheese complete with sheep eyeballs looking out of my crockpot. I don't know why fermentation scares me.
    There's a song in there somewhere.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast