Thread: Raw Egg Yolks - nutritional benefits when storing page

nriv is offline Junior Member

Raw Egg Yolks - nutritional benefits when storing

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I recently learned that cooking with the whole egg will rob it of the omega-3 fat and lecithin & cholesterol that are found in the yolk.

I was wondering if anyone knows how long a yolk will keep these nutritional properties if separated and simply put in a small tupperware container in the fridge - how long will it take before the omega-3s oxidise on their own? Alternatively, if I freeze yolks, will they retain their omega-3 through freezing and thawing?

Thanks very much to anyone who knows this and can advise.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    What?

What I think you mean ( and correct me if I'm wrong ) is that heat may deactivate or reduce the nutritional value of the egg yolk. I have no idea how this translates into needing to store them separate in the refrigerator though? Basically store the egg as a whole and seperate them at time of use is your very best solution...you can eat the yolks raw if you like. The whites contain avidin which deactivates biotin (found in the yolk) if eaten raw. Cooking the white deactivates the avidin which allows better asymilation of the biotin. So sunny side up sounds best to me.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    whoa... you can cook your egg yolks. there will still be cholesterol, polyunsaturated fat and all the other goodies. plus you hedge your bets about the whole raw egg bit; and i would be really worried about storing raw egg whites out of the shell, on their own, for any length of time.

nriv is offline Junior Member
    Oh sorry I probably sounded like a nutcase - what I should have mentioned is I like to have my bacon & eggs etc hot brekky in the morning and was wondering if, while preparing this, I should separate the yolks and keep them in a container in the fridge to use later on or next day in a salad dressing or something. I just was worried about eathing the whole cooked egg (even sunyn side up) Thanks for the suggestions anyhow!

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    I eat all my eggs raw and believe your concerns are sound. I don't think there'd be any problem storing your eggs in a container for a short while in the fridge. I think a glass jar would be best, probably anything other than plastic would do though. After all, if you were to make a dressing with raw egg yolks, there wouldn't be much of a difference storing it in the fridge, would there?
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm confused~ if you're eating eggs for breakfast, why aren't you eating the yolks?

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    I think I'm confused~ if you're eating eggs for breakfast, why aren't you eating the yolks?
    ha there's this too
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!