Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite PROBIOTIC? page

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member

Your Favourite PROBIOTIC?

Shop Now
    Hey Guys,

Whats everyones favourite probiotic supplement... or the one that has had the most powerful impact?

Im currently in the process of healing my gut (GAPS diet) so Ive used Bio-Kult and I'm now using Primal Defense Ultra. Im consuming about 40000CFU (8 capsule) a day from PD Ultra and not really having any die off which im surprised by.

Are their any brands you guys totally recommend highly?

Ive heard good things about Dr Ohirra Probiotics so might try them next.

P.S. I also eat a lot of sauerkraut and drink Raw Kefir too!

Thanks

Oz
    Last edited by ozbuckley; 03-24-2012 at 03:45 PM.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    Heard a really cool paleo doc (practicing paleo x 12 years!!) rec one called Pharmax brand in passing at PaleoFx. He is the man as far as Paleo docs in my book, thus I am seeking it out when I run out of my biokults. I don't think he has any stake in the company or anything, just thought the guy who came up with it did a great job.
    Last edited by L8F; 03-24-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm almost done with a bottle of Garden of Life RAW probiotics - 33 strains, 85 billion count. It gave me AWFUL toxic gas for a few days (die off?) and I have been consistently bloated since I've been on them - not sure if that's also part of the die off, or if I'm just having a bad reaction. I also drink kombucha and eat cultured almond/coconut 'yogurt'.

I'm going to check out pharmax - thanks for the recomendation, L8F

jakey is offline Senior Member
    real sauerkraut and kefir.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    VSL#3 with 750 billion count. I'll warn you it is very expensive but I've had great results with it that I did not see with 4 other brands, including Custom Probiotics.

jakey - some people can't handle real ferments for a short time due to histamine, mold, etc. Once the gut begins to heal and metabolic processes correct, fermented foods can be reintroduced. In fact, GAPS recommends fermented foods with every meal.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    jakey - some people can't handle real ferments for a short time due to histamine, mold, etc. Once the gut begins to heal and metabolic processes correct, fermented foods can be reintroduced. In fact, GAPS recommends fermented foods with every meal.
    okay, i'll bite... you can't handle real fermented food, but you can handle pills containing thousands of bacterial cultures? seriously, how does that work? (tone: honestly inquiring, mind blown if true, still skeptical)

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Is gas & bloating a sign you need probiotics more than you thought (i.e. die-off) or a sign a different probiotic might be a better fit?

I bought Mark's Primal Flora in a pinch, thinking I'd go with something more potent next month... But Primal Flora is not agreeing with me, and so now I am afraid to go with something more potent.

(Not trying to hijack the thread... I felt the question related to the OP's post.)
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm just gonna call bullshit. Actually my reading of SCD and GAPS suggests that if your in the excessive/diarrhea camp then you are acually REQUIRED to introduce the 24hr yogurt immediately. This is probably the least problematic ferment, but to my sensibilities stating that ANY ferment would be detrimental is outright incorrect.....And re-reading your paragragh....WHAT?

Basically fermentation contributes to digestion and makes some constituents of health more bioavailable....so why is that detrimental?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I will stick by natural ferments like home made yogurt, kefir, kraut, and lacto-vegetables before any of your overpriced, underproducing, heat intolerant, megPCcorrect (ok I made this one up), store bought probiotic any day of the week and twice on sunday.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-24-2012 at 08:10 PM.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Probably not what you're looking for, but I take Digestive Advantage's lactose intolerance formula. Easily available (most drugstores), has been successful for a number of years at preventing a flare of SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth--I'm prone to it b/c of my short gut), and has the added advantage of lactase enzyme. I add in kefir or yogurt if I am unfortunate enough to be on antibiotics though. I do wish I had more space/time to make my own ferments, I do love Bubbies pickles/kraut though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast