Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I refuse to give up wine page

AlexBro is offline Junior Member

I refuse to give up wine

Primal Fuel
    I embraced the Primal philosophy with the exception of wine: I like it too much and, in my world, no meal is a true meal without at least couple of glasses.
    I gave up beer.
    I don't care about spirits.
    I limited my wine to weekends only... But Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night I WILL drink wine (at least 1/2 bottle).
    I REALLY enjoy sharing a nice bottle of wine with my girlfriend: giving that up would lower the quality of my life to an unacceptable level. I will NOT do that.
    Besides all the above, I am blessed by the fact that I don't like dessert, ice cream, gelato or anything sweet.
    I initially had a hard time giving up bread, but I have been two weeks completely bread-free and I am just fine. i don't care about pasta or any other carbs. I don't add sugar, cream or any sweet "additives" to my coffee or tea, and/or any other beverage or food.
    All that being said my question is: how can I effectively integrate my unyielding resolution to never ever give up wine with the Primal philosophy?
    Yesterday was friday; let me give you an overview of my food and beverage intake.
    Breakfast: 2 eggs omelette with spinach and cheese, espresso, one glass of freshly squeezed oranges (two oranges)
    Lunch: as much as I hated it, unexpected contingencies forced me to skip lunch. Normally I would have a carbs free meal (i.e. grilled chicken with broccoli or green beans, etc) I also drank 2 cups of unsweetened coffee throughout the day.
    Dinner: 20oz Bone-in Rib-eye steak (once removed the bone and the fat areas the actual amount of red meat must have been about 14oz tops) + one serving of spinach (with olive oil and lemon juice) + 1/2 bottle (maybe a little more... i cheated on my girlfriend in terms of pouring "equally" :-) of top notch Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley.
    Is that REALLY bad???
    I feel like I have no problems with the primal mentality (and I'm losing about 6 lbs/week). I'd rather COMPLETELY skip all other carbs (sugars, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.) than skipping wine... Would such approach be compatible?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    It's your choice to drink wine and if you enjoy it, why feel guilty? It may or may not cause you consequences- you alone can decide if say, slower weight loss or cravings or some extra aches and pains are worth it. I eat chocolate every day- its my wine. I could choose not to eat and maybe lose weight faster- but I enjoy it.

I don't know that you can eat to negate the consequences of the wine- you know- it sounds like you eat clean. If you slid into I'm gonna have some of this bread too, and the chocolate mousse, and the doughnut...and I'm gonna do it again tomorrow, and add in a bagel... that is when you slide down the slope.

I feel like we should enjoy food and for some of us (and I think you fall in this category) if eating is not a pleasure, you won't stay close to primal anyway. We might not get the optimum health benefits, but we are still better than before.

lamoka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexBro View Post
    I embraced the Primal philosophy with the exception of wine: I like it too much and, in my world, no meal is a true meal without at least couple of glasses.
    I gave up beer.
    I don't care about spirits.
    I limited my wine to weekends only... But Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night I WILL drink wine (at least 1/2 bottle).
    I REALLY enjoy sharing a nice bottle of wine with my girlfriend: giving that up would lower the quality of my life to an unacceptable level. I will NOT do that.
    Besides all the above, I am blessed by the fact that I don't like dessert, ice cream, gelato or anything sweet.
    I initially had a hard time giving up bread, but I have been two weeks completely bread-free and I am just fine. i don't care about pasta or any other carbs. I don't add sugar, cream or any sweet "additives" to my coffee or tea, and/or any other beverage or food.
    All that being said my question is: how can I effectively integrate my unyielding resolution to never ever give up wine with the Primal philosophy?
    Yesterday was friday; let me give you an overview of my food and beverage intake.
    Breakfast: 2 eggs omelette with spinach and cheese, espresso, one glass of freshly squeezed oranges (two oranges)
    Lunch: as much as I hated it, unexpected contingencies forced me to skip lunch. Normally I would have a carbs free meal (i.e. grilled chicken with broccoli or green beans, etc) I also drank 2 cups of unsweetened coffee throughout the day.
    Dinner: 20oz Bone-in Rib-eye steak (once removed the bone and the fat areas the actual amount of red meat must have been about 14oz tops) + one serving of spinach (with olive oil and lemon juice) + 1/2 bottle (maybe a little more... i cheated on my girlfriend in terms of pouring "equally" :-) of top notch Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley.
    Is that REALLY bad???
    I feel like I have no problems with the primal mentality (and I'm losing about 6 lbs/week). I'd rather COMPLETELY skip all other carbs (sugars, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.) than skipping wine... Would such approach be compatible?
    Your lunch would have had carbs in the veggies, had you had it.. there are carbs in the veggies, fruits and dairy products we consume.. you would have had no GRAINS OR FLOURS OR MAN MADE SUGARS ETC... not carbs.. more people need to understand this.. WE DO EAT CARBS.. not grains or white flour products or nasty sweeteners, additives, etc etc etc
    and remember marks 80/20 philosphy (or any philosophy that is in favor of moderation and balance)..
    If you are primal 80 percent then you have the OPTION of a non primal 20 percent.. I would think your wine is more than acceptable.. you have relegated it to the weekends, you drink in moderation and it plays a vital part for you, in your quality of life.. it enhances the moment, it does not dictate your life.
    Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
    My journal...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    No one says you have to. I haven't given up wine, cider, beer or spirits.

@lex is offline Senior Member

Animals love eating fermenting and rotting fruit and getting plastered off it. I think occasional alcohol consumption is fine, and I like a glass of wine or whiskey as much as the next guy. Moderation is important though, so keep that in mind.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I see NOTHING wrong with a couple of glasses of wine, except for raising blood sugar, some. I wont' have it regularly, but I prefer wine/hard liquor, to beer nowadays.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    mark's pretty open about drinking red wine. who told you you couldn't have it? i wouldn't sweat a couple of glasses. don't drink every day though, your liver likes a rest. and if it's the carbs that are a concern, please...

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Life with no wine, chocolate, and cheese is NO life indeed!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

janagram is offline Senior Member
    high five! but why can't they make stevia chocolates?

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    don't drink every day though, your liver likes a rest.
    Pish..maybe don't get loaded every day, but nothing wrong with A glass everyday.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast