Thread: How's it hanging? page

Catharsis is offline Senior Member

How's it hanging?

Primal Fuel
    I've been lurking for a few days and decided to finally register. As a little background, I'm a dude in his early 30's that used to be morbidly obese. When I turned 21, I was 5'11" 330+lbs and I started Atkins. About a year and a half later I was 185lbs. For another year and a half or so, I hovered around there. After 3 years total of working out too hard (2-3 hours a day) and eating all wrong completely depriving myself (that whole less than 20 grams of carbs a day thing - yeah, did that all the time), I finally started slipping back into my old ways.

Last year I was "flabber"gasted at myself when I stepped on the scales fully clothed and was 270lbs. I literally flipped out. I cut out a lot of things going to a pseudo low carb diet and starting hitting the gym. I promptly lost around 35lbs, and for the past year I've hung between 230-238lbs or so. Like most mainstream low carbers, my diet has consisted a lot of beef jerky, deep fried restaurant chicken wings and prepackaged low carb protein bars. Last week I somewhat spontaneously decided to step, no, jump, into the paleo lifestyle (at least if greek yogurt qualifies to the hardcore ). I've lost 6lbs in the past week, and while that's cool I suppose I know that a lot of that is fluid, despite already being low carb.

It has me wondering if I'm eating enough. I've never been much of a calorie counter or a scale jumper because they're two things that just end up doing me more mental harm than physical good in the long run. I found through my Atkins years that I never needed to count calories, my body would be my guide. But earlier I started recapping my calories and I'm a little disturbed by myself:
    Breakfast:
    Fage Total
    2-3 blackberries
    5-10 blueberries
    Maybe 1/4 cup of "custom" mixed nuts which is usually 1-2 almonds, 1-2 hazelnuts, 1-2 macadamia nuts, 1-2 cashews, usually 6 nuts total.
    Calories: I vote 450 max

Lunch:
    Salad w/ 4oz of salmon, about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, broccoli, peppers, olives, a few blackberries and blueberries, a few nuts, salt/pepper, blah blah.
    Calories: 600 at the max

Dinner:
    Last night is a great example. I grilled up about 1/2lb of grassfed beef (precooked weight) with about 1oz of some kind of really good cheese from WF that they had samples of right into the meat and tossed in an egg for good measure. Took my "burgers" and had them as lettuce wraps with a little mustard. I almost grilled some asparagus, but decided I didn't want it.

Calories: Not knowing anything about the cheese, I'll say 650 for good measure.

So that's 1700 off of meals. I'm not much of a snacker, but I will grab a few nuts here and there to the tune of another 200 calories worth a day. So 1900 calories, which is probably an over estimation. While that probably sounds like a lot, it's a lot less than my "normal" amount to somewhat maintain which is usually around 2800-3000. I hit the gym about 3 days a week. I'd like to do more, but I travel extensively and I'm not always near the gym or in a hotel that has one.

The number is mostly arbitrary to me. I could care less about calories. What I don't want to repeat is what I did to myself all those years ago which was undernourished, over trained and completely stalled out to where I invalidate the mental shifts that I had made and undo all of that hard work. That's not a lot of meat and is not intended to be representative of what I'll build up to and I probably over do the nuts right now. But it's a transitional thing for me while I get my fridge stocked. Traveling as much as I do, I live out of a cooler. Nuts on a hand are a backstop that I consider to be better than eating some form of trash or just plain not eating at all. A bulk order of grassfed beef just showed up the other day, so now I have a little more to work with than a lot of the overpriced options at my local WF, which is really my only option for local grassfed beef short of buying a quarter.

Opinions? And thanks!

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've always used it as an impromptu, "How's it going?"