Thread: Any pregnant ladies on Vitamin D? page

shema is offline Senior Member

Any pregnant ladies on Vitamin D?

Primal Fuel
    Just wondering if there happen to be any ladies on this board that are supplementing (or have supplemented) with Vitamin D while pregnant? If so, what dosage and what brand? My understanding is that Vitamin A, D and K need to be taken together - is that right? Isnít vitamin A a powerful teratogen in the first trimester? I've also heard that taking too much Vitamin D in early pregnancy is harmful. Is this true?

Iíd appreciate any input!

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Not me, sorry. But I have an input anyway if it's okay
    The best source is naturally the Sun on your entire body in the middle of the summer, middle of the day (no sunscreen, but gradually increasing the time you spent in the sun to prevent burn).

Supplement should be in the form of D3, NOT D2. And yes, K2 is important with vitamin D (K2 is in fermented foods, some hard cheeses and free range butter). Also eat the pill with some fat, because vitamin D is fat soluble.
    I suppose if you don't take more D3 than one pill a day (35 mcg) in the beginning of your pregnacy, then there is no risk of oversupplementing.
    And never supplement with vitamin A. It is easy to get enough from food (liver and carrots ex.).
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

shema is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToldUzo View Post
    Not me, sorry. But I have an input anyway if it's okay
    The best source is naturally the Sun on your entire body in the middle of the summer, middle of the day (no sunscreen, but gradually increasing the time you spent in the sun to prevent burn).

Supplement should be in the form of D3, NOT D2. And yes, K2 is important with vitamin D (K2 is in fermented foods, some hard cheeses and free range butter). Also eat the pill with some fat, because vitamin D is fat soluble.
    I suppose if you don't take more D3 than one pill a day (35 mcg) in the beginning of your pregnacy, then there is no risk of oversupplementing.
    And never supplement with vitamin A. It is easy to get enough from food (liver and carrots ex.).
    Thank you for your reply! I do know that sunlight is the best source, but since I live in the northeast, I'm going to have to wait a little while before having access to that which is frustrating! (Although we had unseasonably, sunny, warm weather the past 3 days and I did try to take advantage of it! But back to damp weather and clouds today. Sigh.)

Really appreciate the advice on good sources of vitamin K. I think the units I've been seeing for D3 over the counter in IUs? So is 500 IU daily reasonable? (I think I get 400 IU in my prenatal vitamin already so I'd be getting a total of about 900 IU a day).

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    900 IU a day, especially coming out of wintertime (assuming you're in the N Hemisphere) is not a high dose at all. It should be safe. I take about 6000 IU a day on average. Toxicity risk is only high when you're regularly in the 10s of thousands daily.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I was found to be vitamin D deficient shortly after my son was born(tested at 21). I was nursing full time so they opted not to do the 40,000u once a week for four weeks in order not to risk poisoning him. That is the normal therapy when vitamin D is that low. Instead I was put on 4000u daily and it was felt that level would not be harmful to my son. I've been on that dose for the last four years and my levels run in about the 50's. When he stopped nursing he was put on 800u a day and has been on that ever since. I live in the rainy grey that is western Washington state. My personal philosophy is to try to get as many of my nutrients from food and avoid supplements. I feel that the body handles food nutrients better with less risk of overdose. However, living where I do sunshine is a scarce commodity. We get between 60 and 90 sunshiny days a year mostly in July and August. I supplement because of our weather and because I am a very fair Scandinavian that burns in a few minutes when we do get sun. If you live further toward the equator than I do you may need far less. Listen to what your OB or midwife says on dosage.

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm pregnant and have been taking vitamin D3, this brand to be precise, since before I even got pregnant. That is the only supplement I take though. I prefer to eat varied and get my nutrients through food. To be honest I don't know if I'm deficient in anything, but I'm not having any weird cravings or anything so I take that as a good sign.
    I do eat liver and spinach every week so I'm hopefully doing ok for vitamin A and K.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!