Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad to feel Hungry? page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Is it bad to feel Hungry?

Primal Fuel
    Just a question... I often feel hungry throughout the day and just ignore it. I know I have plenty of fuel and aside from some discomfort in my stomach, I otherwise feel great. Yesterday, driving home from the barn I drove past 6 fast food restaurants and holy crap I wanted a burger and fries. Yet I got home, had a pretty moderate workout- walked on trails and did body weight exercises and fine- plenty of energy. Post workout I felt a little spent but 90 calories of a small banana refilled that and I was fine until my dinner 4 hours later.

So when does hunger stop lying to you? Personally I ignore it.... but I know we are "supposed" to eat when hungry- well, I'd be eating 12 times a day- my hunger comes and goes whether or not I eat. How much of the feeling of hunger is mental and how much is physical?

bhooray is offline Junior Member
    I have the same problem, I can never seem to feel full except after a huge meal. Even then, 30 mins later I'm craving for more. I just ignore it or try to do something to keep my mind off it. I've started to add a little more fat to each meal, which has helped a little bit.
    I'm curious to hear more on this.

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    Naaah... not as long as you don't feel sick. I also IF, and sometimes I feel hungry, sometimes not at all.
    I think it may be because the body needs some sort of nutrition if you keep feeling hungry..? It could be minerals (just salt perhaps), carbs, water or some vitamins.
    But it can be diffiult to find out exactly what it lacks, so variation to get all kind of nutrients and the quality of food is important.

If I feel too weak, I will eat something primal and try listen to my bodys cravings for either carbs (sweet), fat, protein or salt. But some hunger will pass after a while (which I have learned by IF'ing) so I simply ignore it.
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I think of hunger like a snooze alarm~ you know you have to get up, but not right this minute. Hunger reminds you to feed the body~ but not necessarily this instant. You need to go out hunting first! Or at least that's what Grok would have done

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I was hungry ten years on primal type mini meals & always just ignored it. Look at your average daily calories and see if they are too low. Possibly add some from protein or fat to help reduce it.

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    Being hungry is neither good nor bad, it's just a physiological state where your body requires some nutrition. I bet Grok was hungry a lot of the time, and when he was he'd find some food. Assuming we're primally adapted and not diabetic or anything, I'm sure being hungry is perfectly normal. Sometimes Grok would be hungry and wouldn't find any food, so we're more than adapted for it

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    As long as you can continue to ignore the hunger, that means you are beating it, so it's no problem whatsoever IMO.

It's only when the hunger becomes all-consuming and obsessive that you need to reassess what your are doing.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-24-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I like feeling hungry, as long as it doesn't come with a sharp drop in blood sugar. That subtle empty stomach feeling I have nowadays is not the same as the gnawing ache, jitters, crabbiness and headache I would get pre-primal. Now I can just be hungry, and get on with my day, and look forward to the next eating opportunity, especially if I know I have a tasty meal lined up. In the past I would be like OMG. Must eat now. Make that pain go away. Get me a cookie.

I went through a phase of waiting for hunger way of eating about 8 years ago and I don't know why I ever stopped.

What I've noticed about this primal way of eating is that being FULL feels different than pre-primal. Fullness seems to be a comfortable sensation higher up in my belly, in my stomach I guess, as opposed to an overstuffed bloated feeling in my whole abdomen. I had no idea I was bloated and gassy until I stopped being bloated and gassy! I no longer feel the need to lie down and unbutton.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Tclose90 is offline Junior Member
    Anyone who is curious about hunger definitely needs to read this!
    T NATION | A New Way to Eat

I rarely feel hungry with this way of eating, I ate yesterday at 1pm, then didnt eat again until 1pm today, because I just didnt
    feel hungry. My husband gets a bit grouchy because he things it cant be good for me to go 24 hours without eating, but surely if you are not hungry, there is no need to eat? When I do eat, I eat lots of eggs cooked in butter, bacon, maybe some fish. Yesterday I had bought a lovely sirloin steak for dinner, but after having no breakfast then eating 2 eggs scrambled with cream, 2 thin sausages and 2 bacon rashers, I couldnt face dinner!! Its fantastic!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast