Thread: Has anyone lost, then regained, an inch or more of height? I have! page

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member

Has anyone lost, then regained, an inch or more of height? I have!

Prior to going primal, lets start a few years before primal - I was 5'8-1/2 inches tall.

I don't know when I started losing height, nor why, but a few months before primal, I noticed, and measured myself at 5'7". I thought my mind was playing tricks but couldn't stop remeasuring. I had no reason to see a doctor so I didn't. Well 1 month into primal, I had to see an allergist, and the nurses took all my vitals and measurements to start with. "Whats my height at?" "Oh, about 5'7" to 5'7-1/2"

Well, them's the breaks I told myself. Years of bad nutrition caught up to me!

Well 9 months into primal, I thought I was a bit taller. I measured myself: 5'8-1/2 or so. Cool! Really? Is that possible? I measured myself multiple times. Even had my wife and daughter do it. Well, today I had to get a check up and the nurse measured me - 5'8-1/2!!!

Now, keep in mind, I only lost about 50lbs and that was early on, in the first 5 months. I can't imagine but don't really know losing weight could account for that (decompression of the spine? Who knows...)

I do know I have been real good with Vit D, Vit A, and K2 supplements, and drinking raw milk. And during the 2nd half of 2011 was working out hard.

But what I want to know, is this common??? Has anyone else seen or heard of this happening???

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    I don't know since I didn't measure myself, but I have had this odd sensation lately that my body is 'straighter'. I just feel more balanced and upright, if that makes sense. So maybe my posture has gotten better as my body strengthens? That could add height I suppose.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Better posture and less compression of your intervertebral disks are two likely causes.

Another factor to bear in mind is that your height varies by about an inch according to what time of day it is measured. Your intervertebral disks collectively compress by an average of an inch over the course of a day, and gradually re-expand overnight while you sleep.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-24-2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: spelling
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    i would LOVE to grow taller .. hell id LOVE to fix my posture~!
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
    i would LOVE to grow taller .. hell id LOVE to fix my posture~!
    I'm guessing you have forward head posture and slouched shoulders? Best thing I did was start doing pullups- built my upper back muscles, and pulled my shoulders back. My wife has seen some success with Esther Gokhale's strategies for posture and movement as well.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Better posture and less compression of your intervertebral disks are two likely causes.

Another factor to bear in mind is that your height varies by about an inch according to what time of day it is measured. Your intervertebral disks collectively compress by an average of an inch over the course of a day, and gradually re-expand overnight while you sleep.
    Interesting.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post

Well, I measured my height perhaps a dozen times over a period of 2 months or so, varied times of the day, before it was measured by a health professional, there was no variation in height; this was true for both cases - when it appeared I lost height, and then when it appeared I had regained it.

In fact, what prompted me both times to look into my height, I noticed how close the hem of my pant leg was to the floor and it looked way off than what I was used to - first I noticed the 32" length was overlong and could only use 30". Then later, I noticed that 30" now looks too short and I might need to consider 32" again. Please note, I am not suggesting the loss or gain in height was in my leg, I don't know for sure how and whether it was spread across the length of my entire body. I only know, I was prompted to investigate my large perceived changes in my pant leg. And the measurements bore it out. I have no theories on biological mechanisms, obviously provoked by diet, by which any thing could have occured, other than that, it did occur.

So, I am just curious of how common or not, this circumstance is, amongst others on a similar diet
    Last edited by wildwabbit; 03-24-2012 at 08:19 PM.