Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I stubborn or silly? page

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member

Am I stubborn or silly?

Primal Fuel
    So, all this primal/paleo business has made me really interested in how I"m nourishing myself. And I've been trying to figure out my daily needs, which I know are nothing like the US government's RDI numbers. So, I've been reading through my books on this lifestyle, and I found some interesting info in Robb Wolf's The Paleo Solution.

On page 219 (on my Kindle, I don't know if the page numbers are similar in the printed book), Tables 3 and 4 list the daily needs for a 25 year old female who consumes 2200 calories a day. Even though I'm actually a 40 year old female, this was the closest I've found so far, so I'm trying to extrapolate. The macro needs are listed as follows: Protein - 217 grams/38%, Fat - 100.3 grams/39%, and Carbs - 100 grams/39%.

I'm not even sure how to eat to get near these levels of protein. They seem very high to me. When I adapt those recommendations to my caloric needs (around 1700 per day), these are the numbers I get. 170 grams protein, 76 grams fat, 85 grams carbs. Even when I supplement with whey protein and have a tuna packet for a snack, I can't get more than 120 grams protein without eating when I'm not hungry.

And do my carbs really need to be that low? I normally get around 30% each of carbs and protein and 40% of my diet is fat. I'm all for tweaking things, but I don't see how to eat *that much* protein in my normal two meals a day. I'll have to eat a dozen eggs in addition to my regular meals. I don't see how it's happening. I could add another meal, but I'm not hungry for more, and I feel like it's overeating. And I don't want to eat if I'm not hungry.

Am I being stubborn/obstinate, or is trying to extrapolate these number to my own needs a stupid idea?
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Usually protein is 1g per 1lb of lean body mass. As for carbs/fat that depends on your activity level. If you aren't hungry then I dont see the need to eat more to hit some number. You can try carb cycling.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

evertastica is offline Member
    Go by your own needs and how you feel. Yes, it is important to research and try different things but one way is not the right way for everyone.
    I think it depends on the lifestyle of the person but the 1g per 1lb of lean body mass method stated already by activia is more of how I go. Even .75 isn't too low as long as you get enough fat. Too much protein isn't necessarily the best thing for you. If you're full you're done, don't keep eating to match numbers.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Go and sign up for the Cron O meter and it will give you figures based on the type of diet (paleo is a choice) or you can put your own % of protein/fat/carbs. Then you enter whether you want to lose 1 or 2 lbs pr wk or maintain, your age, sex etc and what exercise you are doing.

I am finding it very useful guide for keeping me on track. It is an indicator of how many calories (and those figures in %) which may be right for you. Once you have it you can tweak it.
    Last edited by Analog6; 03-23-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Real View Post
    ...Protein - 217 grams/38%, Fat - 100.3 grams/39%, and Carbs - 100 grams/39%...
    Numbers don't add up, something is wrong.

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalkyle View Post
    Numbers don't add up, something is wrong.

^^ you crack me up

Oh and he's right they dont add up lol
    Primal since March 2011

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think the grams of protein is the actual protein content. Meat is full of water, so the weight of the meat is much higher than the weight of the protein within.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Is there a problem with your diet as it is? Are you not getting the results that you want?

I see no problem with 40-30-30. Why would that be a problem?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Is there a problem with your diet as it is? Are you not getting the results that you want?

I see no problem with 40-30-30. Why would that be a problem?
    Except that its 40/40/40
    Primal since March 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast