Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible thyroid changes page

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member

Possible thyroid changes?

Primal Fuel
    I just realized that my outer eyebrows are returning and my facial hair is disappearing. I never was DX'd as pcos and now am 15 yrs post menopause. I have been eating primal for 6 months now. I never took any thyroid, iodine or anyhthing extra, just good food. Recently I upped my fruit since reading about thyroid issues with a VLC WOE. My constant coldness is gone also. I just wonder is this for real? I actually need a brow wax instead of chin, that is how dramatic this is. Last wax was 3 weeks ago. Lots of hairs then where they don't belong.
    Last edited by Snauzoo; 03-23-2012 at 04:12 PM.

activia is offline Senior Member
    It's for real. They are COMMON symptoms. If you see these symptoms (hair loss, cold hands/feet, depression, lethargia) I will recommend 100% of the time to add in more carbs.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    +1
    Hypothyroid and Hypoglycemic symptoms gone since adding healthy carbs to the 75-100 gram level.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    good info! thanks!
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    It's for real. They are COMMON symptoms. If you see these symptoms (hair loss, cold hands/feet, depression, lethargia) I will recommend 100% of the time to add in more carbs.
    I just thought it could not be possible without adding iodine. So much talk of that lately.

The whole topic of how VLC causes an upswing in rT3 is fascinating, to say the least. I wish I understood more of the why of this, but I know know first hand it is for real. I also got the super high LDL to go along with the other sx. I have some labs coming back soon. Hope the LDL decreases since I just know I will get the stupid statin lecture again.

The amt of CHO I added is about a sweet potato a week, some white rice about as often, and a daily citrus fruit. That was all it took.

I know what the sx are, but was so surprised how fast they started to reverse. It is amazing how we heal with proper building blocks.
    Last edited by Snauzoo; 03-23-2012 at 05:35 PM.

The human body is amazing.. you know whats more amazing then the body? The mind... Just by learning about the Placebo and Nocebo effects can tell you just how powerful the mind is (in terms of how it can affect your body). One of the many reasons Im starting to pursue meditation, and why I'm looking for naturalpath doctor, I need a doctor I can trust.. even if their advice isn't better..just me trusting them will have a profound effect on healing.

RHR: The Placebo Effect and The Power of Belief in Healing
    Primal since March 2011

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snauzoo View Post
    I just realized that my outer eyebrows are returning and my facial hair is disappearing. I never was DX'd as pcos and now am 15 yrs post menopause. I have been eating primal for 6 months now. I never took any thyroid, iodine or anyhthing extra, just good food. Recently I upped my fruit since reading about thyroid issues with a VLC WOE. My constant coldness is gone also. I just wonder is this for real? I actually need a brow wax instead of chin, that is how dramatic this is. Last wax was 3 weeks ago. Lots of hairs then where they don't belong.
    Yes, I found when I added back in carbs I felt warmer and slept better. I'm over in the iodine thread too, because I am getting further improvements (e.g. reduced hair loss) but I live in a low iodine country so it is a particular issue for me. I'm glad that you had improvements just by adding fruit. PB doesn't have to be low carb, but people are not always aware of this. Unfortunately the (very) low carb focus has somewhat discredited Paleo and sent people with crashing thyroids and falling metabolisms over to Matt Stone's 180. They go from Paleo to ice cream in one go. I agree with some of what Matt says, but I think you can repair the damage with PB too, so long as you don't cut carbs by too much or cut calories.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snauzoo View Post
    I just thought it could not be possible without adding iodine. So much talk of that lately.

The whole topic of how VLC causes an upswing in rT3 is fascinating, to say the least. I wish I understood more of the why of this, but I know know first hand it is for real. I also got the super high LDL to go along with the other sx. I have some labs coming back soon. Hope the LDL decreases since I just know I will get the stupid statin lecture again.

The amt of CHO I added is about a sweet potato a week, some white rice about as often, and a daily citrus fruit. That was all it took.

I know what the sx are, but was so surprised how fast they started to reverse. It is amazing how we heal with proper building blocks.

LOL, OK I give up.... what does sx stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    Yes, I found when I added back in carbs I felt warmer and slept better. I'm over in the iodine thread too, because I am getting further improvements (e.g. reduced hair loss) but I live in a low iodine country so it is a particular issue for me. I'm glad that you had improvements just by adding fruit. PB doesn't have to be low carb, but people are not always aware of this. Unfortunately the (very) low carb focus has somewhat discredited Paleo and sent people with crashing thyroids and falling metabolisms over to Matt Stone's 180. They go from Paleo to ice cream in one go. I agree with some of what Matt says, but I think you can repair the damage with PB too, so long as you don't cut carbs by too much or cut calories.
    +1 which is why I'm so vocal about it here
    Primal since March 2011

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    LOL, OK I give up.... what does sx stand for?
    SX would mean symptoms, at least in my book...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast