Thread: My Carb Experiment page

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member

My Carb Experiment

I have been Primal for 11 months now and have gone through some interesting changes. I started in at 260 and dropped to 205 in about five months. Then my lift heavy things started getting really heavy with very high intensity and I gained 15 so am at 220. My waist measures the same so I am assuming that it is muscle gains as my strenght numbers shot up in all catagories.

The workouts though started to go way up in intensity about 8 weeks ago and I was starting to "phase out" and run out of gass on the last 3rd of the workouts. My partner who is very familure with how I eat told me "dude, it is amazing to me how you have gotten this far considering how low carb you are. Now though you have to start eating some carbs in order to help with the workouts as you are starting to suck ass at the end". I took this to heart and started to carb up for the workouts and it helped big time for me.

Now in the Primal world I am in the under 50g per day catagory and was fine doing that for 10 months and carb loading is a strange thing for me. I did some research on read up on what to do and now I am carb cycling by being under 25g of carbs on non workout days and then on workout days I go over 200g of carbs by eating rice before and after with a good chunk of protein.

After my initial weight loss I hit a massive stall in fat loss.....it was strange to me as I am in the 95% strict catagory and it worked really well for me for a good while. When the stal happend I was ok with it as from my studies I came to the conclusion that it is where my body wants to be. Short end of the stick is that I am back to fat loss mode now as my pants are getting loose and my workouts are kicking some ass so it helps with training as well. I don't have a weight measurment for this as I don't check it that often any more but the belt test means more to me anyways.

Just letting the Primal world know what I am doing!

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Congrats man! It's great that you've found something that's working for you.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Better workouts and better results for body comp too--glad you've found something that works so well for you!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Hey that's cool! I am doing the same thing myself. I got down to 135 after 5 months and pretty much that's where I got stuck. I tried upping my carbs on a daily basis but that sucked and I had no improvements. Now I'm experimenting with carb cycling instead and my pants are getting loose again.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jakey is offline Senior Member
    right on dude, make it work for you! i think it's interesting that many of us who have gone VLC with success, eventually run in to trouble with lifting weights. and that it takes a while for this trouble to emerge. i can't really say what that means, but it's interesting. whether the answer is to add some carb in every day, or to restrict it to the peri-workout period is more of a personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    right on dude, make it work for you! i think it's interesting that many of us who have gone VLC with success, eventually run in to trouble with lifting weights. and that it takes a while for this trouble to emerge. i can't really say what that means, but it's interesting. whether the answer is to add some carb in every day, or to restrict it to the peri-workout period is more of a personal choice.
    I think the body adapts for low carb living very well but there is a limit on how much glucose it can get out of this style of eating. If you look at how the body uses energy in terms of glocose and ketones it seems that we can do things for a good short while such as a crossfit style workout but when you go to the gym and lift max weight style you just depleat glucose and hit a wall after about 30 min. or so.

The only reason I carb load is for my workouts......just noticing the weightloss here is a nice suprise. I am so steady at Primal that adding the carb loads is like a science experiment for me. Reading up on PB led me to white rice as a good option for me to do this. I know that sweet potato can be used......but I eat enough of that and consider the ability to have some good Asian food without using coliflouer rice to be one heck of a treat!

Really I just wanted to throw the carb load thing out there is all so anyone that is stalled can give it a shot.

gated312 is offline Member
    I found myself in the same circumstance and did the same as Darwin, worked wonderfully. As he said, I had to 'experiment' and tweak it for myself. But I have seen gains in the gym and tightening of my body.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    This is very interesting as I’ve been playing around with carb cycling lately too, mainly by use of sweet potatoes. YUM! I was basically doing the same thing as you just not as much carbs. I admit I’ve been carb phobic the past couple of months so it’s weird to intentionally eat a lot of carbs, but I like it. Unfortunately I had to stop carb cycling and lifting due to my recent back injury (there’s a thread about it) but as soon as I’m healed I will go back to carb cycling and maybe throw in some white rice too. I’m not going to do Lean Gains or anything….just doing some primal experimentation. Congrats on your success.
    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Good for you, you've stabilized. Awesome to hear.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Good for you, you've stabilized. Awesome to hear.
    What is stabilized?