Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GERD/Acid Reflux: Let's see if we can spot something that works for us page 3

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have suffered from the most horrendous reflux for many years, and my old Doctor was convinced that it overflowed into my lungs and exaggerated my sports induced asthma.
    I have also been hospitalized a dozen or more times with a nasty vomitting/diahorreah condition. We worked our that these bugs were not actually bugs, but my body was rejecting something. Maybe the reflux was my body trying to tell me something ? but I didn't listen, and it progressed to the next defensive line ??? I do not know.
    I have been living the primal life for 9 weeks now, and I cannot believe the change. I have not had one episode of reflux, not one vom/Diah episode, and all sorts of other conditions have cleared up.
    I initially cut out grains, sugar/processed food, but still drank alcohol and dairy.
    I have been dairy free now for 2 weeks, with only two relapses, and both caused an excess of mucous in my throat. Not sure if this could have been a trigger - way back in the day ?? But definately the grains and sugar.
    Experiment with foods, (one at a time) and keep a journal. I actually have Marks 90 day journal, and its great to jot down observations etc...
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Caveman_chris is offline Junior Member
    Acid reflux for me too. Quite bad. The trigger for me was savoury pastries, Sausage rolls, pasties and sometimes bread. I swear I walked best a bakery once, smelled it and that triggered it. If I was 'desperate' and had to eat and that was the only place, it would stay with me for days on end. Spicy foods never used to set it off, but they do now, but only for a short time.

chowdaddy is offline Junior Member
    This thread hasn't been active for a while, but the subject fits my situation, so I thought I'd post.

My GERD was diagnosed about 5 or 6 years ago. An endoscopy showed I have Barrett's esophagus, and I need to be re-checked every couple of years to ensure those cells in my esophagus are not turning pre-cancerous. When I was diagnosed, my doctor put me on Prilosec (Omeprezole), which I took twice daily up until about 6 weeks ago. I successfully got off the medication without too much trouble by slowly increasing the time between taking my pills (I'd read reflux can get much worse once you stop taking them as your body readjusts). Additional internet research led me to try eating primal (supplemented with probiotics) to see if I can get rid of my symptoms completely.

About a month into eating primal, I'm still having daily symptoms for the most part, with some good days where I hardly notice anything - and some bad days where I'm ready to go back on the meds. I've been food and symptom journaling for the last few weeks, and also ranking each day as "bad," "medium," or "good." My plan is to do this for a couple more weeks and see if I'm trending better (i.e. good days increasing, bad days decreasing). If so, I'll continue with primal, if not, I may try something else (e.g. the SCD diet (Selective Carbohydrate Diet)). If nothing works after several months I'll probably go back on the medication, as I rarely (if ever) had symptoms while on it - and I'm worried that prolonged symptoms would increase the chances of my Barret's worsening.

I've not noticed any food triggers yet, but I may have noticed a trend in symptoms worsening a few days after I cheat or eat an excessive amount of non-primal food (although I'm always way below the 20% margin of error I've seen people discuss). I read somewhere that it's taken folks as long as 6 months to correct their GERD after beginning to eat primal, so I want to be sure to give a good go of it before determining it's not working. As with other posters on this thread I'd love to hear if anyone else had to wait for significant amounts of time before their symptoms began to fade noticeably.

Good luck, everyone - and thanks for sharing your own experiences.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    For my description, read first page only,
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81870.html
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    You might want to check out Chris Kresser's articles on GERD.

Heartburn / GERD

I don't think those were posted before...
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    For my description, read first page only,
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81870.html
    Thank you for sharing. Good luck with your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    You might want to check out Chris Kresser's articles on GERD.

Heartburn / GERD

I don't think those were posted before...
    Thanks for the link. My wife, who actually did the research to make me think I could get off Omeprezole, has told me a lot about him and the theory of low stomach acid. I initially started with HCl supplements after stopping my medication, but then was confused as to why I'd feel symptoms when my stomach was completely empty, if low acid was the issue. So I stopped taking the HCl before meals and haven't really noticed any difference. I may have stopped too soon, but Paleo seemed a little easier to do in my current lifestyle, and I liked the concept of correcting the diet and everything else would fall into place. Unfortunately this hasn't yet happened. I do still take the probiotics.

nettasaura is offline Senior Member
    I also read Chris Kresser's article (about 10 times through). We are just over a week and a half into Primal and my husband's occasional heartburn seems to have morphed into silent reflux. I would love to heal him without prescriptions so we are going to try a few of the suggestions in the article first. If all else fails we are off to the doctor I guess. I picked up probiotics with HSO organisms (which he was taking, but we ran out and his symptoms got WAY worse), Betaine HCL with Pepsin, and DGL Licorice. I briefly looked at the bottles of Mastic on the bottom shelf as he has previously been treated for H.pylori with heavy antibiotics. Also glanced at some of the other digestive enzymes and bitters available. I thought we could wait on that though for now.

And I thought from what I had read on both the bottle and in that article that you are supposed to take the HCL along with your meals, not before. It doesn't make much sense to stick extra acid in your stomach if there is nothing for it to "eat", right? The beginning of this journey has not exactly been a smooth one. Hubby's gastric issues and I'm finding certain foods and I don't agree well now. Almonds anyone?

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    It's hard to pinpoint cause with reflux, could be anything from low acid to a SIBO. I had a similar experience starting Primal though. Axia 3 tablets (has a traditional calcium carbonate antacid, digestive enzyme, and probiotic, hence the "3") and papaya enzymes helped me through the beginning of going Primal, which is when I went off proton pump inhibitors for the first time in 10 years. It does take time though, I know I powered through the rebound acid for at least 2 weeks.

After being Primal well over a year, a bout of bad eating (way too much sugar/starches) triggered my reflux suddenly, and it seemed like nothing was helping (not enzymes, or even $75 uber probiotics) so I went to a gastroenterologist that I found on paleo physicians network. He told me to try fermented foods rather than supplements--homemade sauerkraut, kombucha, kefir, etc. My local dairy sold raw milk kefir by the pint so I picked up some of that. Good stuff, tart but nice mixed with a bit of flavored stevia drops. Amazingly, I was feeling better within just a few days. I now make my own raw milk kefir and kombucha tea and those seem to keep me out of trouble.

nettasaura is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the tips Meeshar. Hubby has never been on a PPI as of yet. He's just popped the odd TUMS or two when the heartburn flares up. Honestly, his heartburn was way worse a few years ago before we tried to go 100% organic (and flopped after just two months). It got better with that, but has been picking up steam lately on a regular SAD. He's having the classic symptoms of silent reflux now though and that's a new development. I'll pick up the Axia and papaya enzymes with the grocery shopping this week. Anything to help him without conventional medicine is better in my book.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast