Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GERD/Acid Reflux: Let's see if we can spot something that works for us page 2

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I second the recommendation for using digestive enzymes! I've tried a couple different kinds and am really happy with these (oh, well when I dug up the link, it looks like they've now switched to a new and improved kind, but this is the brand, etc) : Buy Source Naturals Essential Enzymes Ultra Premium Digestive Blend, Capsules & More | drugstore.com

oelkesm is offline Junior Member
    I am also struggling with GERD and feel like it's gotten worse since going Primal about 5 weeks ago. I'm really crossing my fingers it will shut off soon and would love to hear more from others who found relief after sticking with it. Very odd that it's gotten worse with healthier eating, but at least I know I'm not the only one trying to work through it.

Dice Monkey is offline Member
    I used to deal with it, for about ten years. Once starting Primal in early February it was like some threw the off switch on the GERD machine.
    I had been taking prilosec daily with an occasional Pepcid complete at night when there would be breakthrough. There were plenty of nights when I would have to sleep propped up on pillows.
    It's gotten so much better. I still take a Prilosec on the weekends cause most if not all of my 20% is on the weekends.
    I have had one or two times when I had to take something at night but that was because of too much red wine.

Main triggers: Wheat (removed from diet), fried food (removed from diet), tomato sauces (I think this has gotten better), alcohol esp red wine and whiskeys.

I used to have to stock up prior to any kind of travel, but thankfully that's not the case anymore.
    "I did it for money and for a woman. I didn't get the money, and I didn't get the woman"

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    A few months ago I was eating a pretty clean CW diet, minimal processed stuff, but still had reflux at night. I cut out milk and bread and within a couple of days my reflux had stopped and has not returned, not once.

I think the late-night glass of milk I used to have was the probable cause, so although I have some dairy, I don't drink milk. I also avoid eating late and only drink herbal teas in the evening.

oelkesm is offline Junior Member
    I've still been trying to figure out why my heartburn is worse when doing low carb and/or primal. I occasionally find other folks online posting about the same thing, but unfortunately, no solutions or answers. Adding more acid with HCl, using digestive enzymes and trying probiotics don't help. The addition of acid with HCl gives me the worst heartburn. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them. It's either eat the bad stuff and feel like crud with some heartburn, or eat well and feel good with worse heartburn/reflux.

lindab is offline Junior Member
    I'm curious about the sorbitol connection. I was recenlty diagnosed with "silent" reflux...I've never had heartburn or any digestive problems...and was prescribed 30 mg of omeprazole/day. I don't want to take them but am worried about esophogeal damage, as my aunt died from esophogeal cancer (non-smoker, non-drinker). I chew a lot of sugarless gum, which has sorbitol, and I'm wondering if that might be causing my problem. Any thoughts?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lindab View Post
    I chew a lot of sugarless gum, which has sorbitol, and I'm wondering if that might be causing my problem. Any thoughts?
    I'm not sure about sorbitol per se, but I know chewing any kind of gum gets your digestive system all ramped up to get food, and then there's nothing for it to actually digest. That could be an issue.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

snoops is offline Senior Member
    I had heartburn and reflux prior to trying to eat more cleanly. Every night at least heartburn. I would take a tsp of baking soda in a bit of water before bed. It helped with the heartburn at least. I think the triggers were tomato sauce especially on pizza, grapefruit juice, and apparently the worst offender was the wheat because once I ditched the wheat I have not had even one incidence of either heartburn or reflux. No more baking soda before bed. No more propping with pillows. No more esophageal and tracheal damage. Guess its grain free forever for me.

On a side note since ditching the grains I have had NO food cravings that I have been living with all my life. I know in a few months I will be a normal weight because I just never think about food anymore. Can't believe this was all it took. ANd the cravings were really gone in as little as a couple days. WOW.

mystifiedu is offline Member
    I had real bad acid reflux for months on end and started to take red reishi mushroom extract. That helped a bit but not enough. Than I researched wholy tea on the internet and started to take that and it has made a big difference. I now in the last three months only occasionally get acid reflux and it happens as my body is cleansing and balancing itself out and also if I eat too much in the way of acidy food- eg. too much dairy at one time, too much in the way of grains at one time, indulge in any kind of fried food. Any change in diet towards a healthier way of eating can cause changes in the body where foods we used to eat now negatively affect us. A good read in understanding how your body works is by Dr.Bernard Jenson Guide to better bowel care.
    Last edited by mystifiedu; 08-04-2012 at 10:28 AM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I had moderate reflux prior to going primal. Primal helped, but there a couple of things that will still give me trouble. Coconut oil, really strong kefir, rice, rice milk, and a couple other things I can't think of right now. Oddly, I have had a bit of heartburn this week - but I'm not completely sure what I did to set it off. I did have some wheat though - so that may be the offender.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast