Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 2 of poo-less and freaking out! Help from the poo less pros please! page

polos26 is offline Senior Member

Week 2 of poo-less and freaking out! Help from the poo less pros please!

Primal Fuel
    Its been 10 days since my last shampoo and, OK, I knew this was going to be messy but... here is my problem.

Today I tried a baking soda wash with the acv rinse (2 teaspoons in a cup of water), my hair feels like hay, it is terrible! am I missing something else?

The other issue which is what is causing me to freak out is that when I brushed my hair after the shower, on the very first stroke there was enough hair on the brush to make a wig!! There was also hair all over the shower, sticking to my body, on the sink, am I going bald? is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice
    Loving my primal life

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    The baking soda/ACV method doesn't work nearly as well if you have hard water. If you have hard water, you can get a softener (expensive), or use a different no-poo method. You can use sea salt instead of baking soda, wash with conditioner only, or use plain water rinses. There is a community on LiveJournal that is a wonderful source of information on no-poo: the no 'poo method

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I haven't had that happen to me. But I will use shampoo once a week usually. I've also been using a boar bristle brush to distribute my natural oils. When I do wash my hair, I try to only wash my head, not all the hair down my back.

Is your hair long or short? If it's long, maybe the rinse didn't get all over your hair and there was still the residual ph imbalance from the baking soda. Not that that should make your hair fall out, but could explain why it feels like hay.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Can you explain a little more about what you do?
    -what you do on days you don't wash (scrubbing scalp with only water in the shower, not getting it wet at all)
    -how often you brush and how much hair is on the brush on non-wash days
    -how much baking soda
    -length & usual texture of hair when clean & "healthy"

I have about a teaspoon of baking soda for ever cup of water in a sports water bottle. On wash days, I get my hair wet and squirt the baking soda water around on my head and scrub my scalp and roots with my fingers. After that, my hair gets that "squeaky clean" feel and I rinse it. My hair feels straw-like if I get out at this point, so I use my vinegar rinse (teaspoon of white vinegar for every cup of water in a re-usable water bottle) and only leave it on my hair for a few seconds otherwise my hair gets clumpy and oily feeling. My hair usually feels pretty clean & soft once it dries after this and I don't brush it until it's dry to avoid excess strain.

I may try using a castille soap rinse for washing because my hair has not felt super clean lately, but it's working out okay so far. I'm about 4 weeks in with only one wash every week.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Or you could buy a bottle of shampoo... that would probably do the trick, although it wouldn't be complicated/different.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Losing hair after you don't wash for a few days is normal. I was concerned last time I shampooed but duh it had been days.

parakeet is offline Member
    We have really hard water here too. I tried going poo free and got the same results as the op. My hair was so dry and brittle I didn't think it would ever go back to the before condition. Instead, I now just shampoo and condition it once a week. If it starts looking a little oily in between, I just throw it into a ponytail.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Why would you shorten shampoo to "poo"? Why? Don't you know what that means? I was expecting to see advice telling you to go to the doctors right away!
    Last edited by billp; 03-23-2012 at 09:19 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I've read that using distilled water in your "shampoo" mixture can help mitigate the hard water effects.

Also it's long been shortened to 'poo for the "no-poo movement", but yes, it is misleading haha
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Soft water here, and no problems like that! So it might be related to hard water.

But the longer you go without washing, the more hair you're going to dump when you finally do wash it. Your head normally loses several dozen hairs a day, and that adds up really fast if you're talking about a week or more.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast