Thread: Kombucha page

Lijo03 is offline Junior Member

Kombucha

Shop Now
    Howdy,
    So I picked up a copy of "wild fermentation" by Sanders Katz hoping to try a few recipes. The first one I'd like to try is the homemade Kombucha. Both this book and all Internet recourses I've found say you need a scoby to do it. This got me thinking. It all had to start somewhere!
    So, I was wondering, if I was to follow the instructions for making Kombucha, but just did it with water (filtered/distilled), tea and sugar, would I end up with anything other than gone off sugary tea?
    I know it may be easier to just source a scoby, but I'm curious now!!!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    not sure what would happen, but eventually it should start to ferment with that sugar in it. i'm guessing it wouldn't be all that helpful for you though, and would likely taste disgusting.

getting a scoby is actually a piece of cake if you're interested. you can basically pick up some bottled kombucha from a health food store, carefully poor it into a wide jar, cover it with something breathable, and wait until it forms. then, when you are fermenting your kombucha, you'll probably get an extra scoby with each new batch.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    not sure what would happen, but eventually it should start to ferment with that sugar in it. i'm guessing it wouldn't be all that helpful for you though, and would likely taste disgusting.

getting a scoby is actually a piece of cake if you're interested. you can basically pick up some bottled kombucha from a health food store, carefully poor it into a wide jar, cover it with something breathable, and wait until it forms. then, when you are fermenting your kombucha, you'll probably get an extra scoby with each new batch.
    This..also do a search on here..a lot of good advice for making it..I have a batch brewing now
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member
    I love kombucha!! I want to get a kit for making it asap. I spend way too much money on the bottled variety.
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

baconator is offline Junior Member
    Sometimes you can find someone near you giving their extra scobies away. I've seen them advertised on craigslist and etsy. If you can't find one, grow your own. It can take around 3 weeks depending on how warm it is in your kitchen.

How To Grow A Kombucha SCOBY | Food Renegade

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post

This worked easily for me. I added a bottle of store - bought kombucha to tea with sugar. The scoby grew beautifully in a few weeks.

rccrsphil is offline Senior Member
    Same here, got a scoby brewing from a bottle of GTs kombucha.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    How sweet is your Kombucha before you bottle it? My brew is 7 days old now and still sweet but I don't want to make the mistake of leaving it too much longer and ending up with vinegar which is what happened last time.

And, this is the first time I have brewed with this SCOBY and it's already had a baby!
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein