Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you all scared of carbs?! page

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member

Why are you all scared of carbs?!

I'm sorry, but the fear of carbs that is coming out of the paleo community these days is making this seem more and more like the atkins diet!

It's a growing movement that has even guys like Robb Wolf and Dr. Kurt Harris fed up.

You people need to grow up, do some research and make informed decisions. Saying that carbs are going to make you fat is about as irresponsible as saying eating fat is going to give you heart disease.

Let's All Stop Freaking Out About Carbs | Paleo Plan

Not sure where this idea that carbs are the devil started but I'm sick of hearing about it.

:end rant:
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

activia is offline Senior Member
    ^^ ditto
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I'm proud to say that I don't check my closet and look under my bed for potatoes at night,and even if I did and found one, I'd just eat it then go to sleep.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

That is rather disturbing that the Paleo FX conference was so carbo-phobic.
    Primal since March 2011

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I agree- it seems like a lot of people here are afraid to eat even a piece of fruit. What is weird is that they will happily eat all sorts of random fats in any quantity, but one serving of fruit is the devil. The odd thing is that I don't know where people get this idea from the actual primal blueprint. I get that he does advise ketosis for the very obese with medical supervision and people seem to grasp that and ignore the parts where he speaks of calorie reduction.

And it does parallel low fat- completely. And all it really does is make paleo/primal into yet another diet that people can't stick to.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I'm not.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't know where you get that from because around here it's carbs carbs carbs. Nobody can follow the basic Primal Blueprint anymore without getting accused of being carb phobic and anybody new to the forum gets jumped on immediately for doing so.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    It IS a bit confusing.

I was wondering if it was kind of like fat. There are different kinds of fat, right, I mean the good fats of primal and then the processed oils and such on the other hand.

I would think there are bad carbs for primal people like cake, pasta, bread, grains, but that there are good carbs -- vegetables and fruits.

That's the confusing part. Not all carbs are bad, right. And not all fats are bad. And not all proteins are bad.

And then someone says: "Cut out all fruit to lose weight. Cut out nuts to lose weight. Cut out a lot of the fat to lose weight. Cut down the protein to lose weight." And then we are on a very restricted DIET.

And the lifestyle goes down the drain. And once again, we are counting!

Magnolia1973. You got it once again. Bizarre thing is I was doing well, but slowly, and then started reading the scary stuff, and now I'm messed up again and thinking juice fast, water fast, vegan, vegetarian because I feel like I'm getting all restricted -- thus, restricting myself -- once again. Binge gets closer.
    Last edited by lopisheep; 03-23-2012 at 09:20 AM.

^^ sounds like the OP was talking about the Paleo FX conference not this forum
    Primal since March 2011

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lopisheep View Post
    It is a bit confusing.

I was wondering if it was kind of like fat. There are different kinds of fat, right, I mean the good fats of primal and then the processed oils and such on the other hand.

I would think there are bad carbs for primal people like cake, pasta, bread, grains, but that there are good carbs -- vegetables and fruits.

That's the confusing part. Not all carbs are bad, right. And not all fats are bad. And not all proteins are bad.
    It's not confusing if you stop looking at things from a macronutrient perspective and start looking at them from a whole foods natural/ vs processed crap perspective.
    Primal since March 2011

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast