Thread: Jittery while IFing? page

AKPrimal is offline Junior Member

Jittery while IFing?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been IFing this week - eating between roughly 5-10pm, Leangains style. My energy is pretty good and I have no issue going 16-18 hours without food, but I've been feeling super jittery, like I've had 8 coffees. Is this normal?

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member
    Did you have a coffee? I always find that caffeine hits me much harder on an empty stomach.

AKPrimal is offline Junior Member
    Hmm, might be that. I'll cut it back tomorrow and see if that makes a diff. Thanks!

ugotllamad is offline Junior Member
    I get jittery when I do fasts. I don't think I could physically fast for more than 24 hours because I would be completely lethargic. If I fast I have to do veggie juicing, or some kind of fat source so I can function. I do this rarely though. I have a crazy metabolism for my age (im 23) and I think this contributes to the shakiness. Since going primal, that metabolism has become even faster!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Could also be a blood sugar thing. I used to wake up shaking because I was so hungry, an indicator of hypoglycemia! Could be that when your eating, you're not getting the right ratio of macro nutrients.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Have you been on a grain/sugar diet previously? I completely got the shakes when I first went on Atkins. Dry heaves even. It will pass.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I get jittery if I do a lot of caffeine & also if I don't eat enough at the last meal. Well, not always.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    If you had coffee, that could be it. But sometimes I get the jittery feeling while fasting even if I've had nothing but water. It usually means I need to do something that requires physical activity or a high degree of mental focus, preferably both. I'm convinced it's the "hunting instinct" taking over, personally. Try doing something physical or tactile that engages your brain, whatever that might be for you. It could even be some kind of craft or hobby you like doing with your hands. Writing is good too.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

PrimalPotter is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little older, so I'm taking the fasting thing slowly. I ate primal lunch, yesterday, then didnt eat again until breakfast this morning at 7:30. So that's 19 hours with nothing but water. I took a really long (for me) walk last night. Woke up early, felt pretty good. I could probably have gone for the full 24, but I started to get a little jittery and headachey. Caffeine! Of course. I had strong black tea when I got up. I think I'll stick with the occasional skipping a meal for a while.