Thread: training for marines page

andy1992 is offline Junior Member

Question training for marines

Primal Fuel
    hi im training for the royal marines and was wondering what the best way forme to train would be to maximise my gains in strength and fitness

i can run a mile and half in 9;50 but need to be running it in 8:50 or lower
    and need to be scoring 13+ on bleep test i am getting 11 at mo

i also need 60+ press ups and 85+ sit ups perfect form
    i can do 80 odd press ups and 50 odd sit ups (im the only person i know with a stronger upperbody than corelolz )

what is the best way for me to increase strength an fittness should i be training often or should i still be strength training 2-3 times a week, walking lots with sprinting every 7-10 days or is that not enough for my goals

i was also looking to start the john e peterson G.U.T.S program and would like to no if u rate it

thank you for your time andy
    Last edited by andy1992; 03-22-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Leonharte is offline Member
    There are literally hundreds of SF-style fitness programs.

This is one commonly used for the SAS selection test.

You could also try googling Stew Smith, he's a well known military fitness instructor, and has a few good programs.

A few tips from me:
    The only way to practise the beep test is to run the beep test.

Interval training will get you running the time you need to. Alternate running at the speed you need to with a resting jog, and each week shorten the rest jog. (eg start with two minutes at pace then a minute rest, the next week go two minutes at pace then 45 seconds rest)

Find your max pushup/situp and halve it. Once a day, do 3 sets of your half-max. (if you max is 80, do 3 sets of 40). Each week retest for your new max.
    Starting weight: 90kg (11/3/13) (33.1 BMI)
    Current weight: 89.5kg (12/3/13) (32.9 BMI)
    Goal weight: 75kg (27.5 BMI)
    Short term goal: BMI under 30
    Mid term goal:
    40 pushups, 100 situps, 10 pullups, 10.1 beep test, >10m 2.4km run
    Long term goal: Enlist as an ARA Combat Engineer

benny687 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonharte View Post
    The only way to practise the beep test is to run the beep test.

Interval training will get you running the time you need to. Alternate running at the speed you need to with a resting jog, and each week shorten the rest jog. (eg start with two minutes at pace then a minute rest, the next week go two minutes at pace then 45 seconds rest)

Find your max pushup/situp and halve it. Once a day, do 3 sets of your half-max. (if you max is 80, do 3 sets of 40). Each week retest for your new max.
    This is very good advice.
    My own tips: do more interval training than steady state runs. i may get some arguments on this, but from my experience of training soldiers, intervals will prepare you for steady state runs (which you will do plenty of when you get to depot) buut steady runs will not prepare you for the faster shorter stuff.

To get your pressup numbers up, do pressups. Only do your max once a week. A good method I have seen work is to hold a pressup position for a set period, say 3 or 4 minutes, and only do a pressup every 20 or 30seconds. You will be surprised how effective this is. As you say, form is important. The DS will dismiss any reps that dont meet the standard. If you attend a PRMC course, do not worry if you hear the bloke next to you claiming 90+ reps in 2 mins. You can feel pretty certain he wont achieve that with a PTI stood over him.

Do not be tempted to do any load-bearing running before you start your training. It WILL lead to injuries.

Good luck, that green lid will be yours forever. If you get it ;-).

Benny. (Primal PTI)