Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help from people who have lost fat on primal who work second shift

Need help from people who have lost fat on primal who work second shift

Shop Now
    I work second shift and am starting to get discouraged. I can't seem to lose any weight at all. In fact, I feel as if I could be gaining. I try to stay low carb, and try not to eat when I get home at 11:45PM but some nights it doesn't seem possible. Plus, I'm also living on 6-7 hours of sleep and some days less. Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm at the point where something has to change or I am done.
    Georgette

I responded in your journal. You assume that we will let you quit. Not going to happen.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Hey Georgette!

I don't work second shift but I though this might be helpful.
    What's working for me:

Sleep:
    300 mg Magnesium before bed (NO other supplements after 4pm and I take D in the morning.)

1 cup of low sugar jello before bed (I make mine with coconut water, honey & Great Lakes gelatin.) Inspired by Ray Peat.<<< This one made all the difference for sleeping!

Sleep mask to block out all extraneous light.

Keep the room on the cool side--around 60 degrees F.

F.lux on my computer.

I don't worry if I wake up, which I sometimes do when I go to pee. I just read for however long and I always go back to sleep, if I do the gelatin.

I am doing my version of a protein-sparing modified fast, where I eat as much lean protein as I want, enough carbs to fuel my activity and limit my fat. This really works if you have 10-15 pounds (or less) to lose.

You're probably not going to want to hear this, but your sleep is likely your biggest culprit. That and keeping a schedule that not aligned with natural circadian rhythms. I believe Robb Wolf has been quoted (loosely) to the effect of , "If you're not getting 9 hours of sleep and losing fat, count yourself lucky..." As far as the second shift things goes, I know it sucks and it's likely not going to change anytime soon. I did 8 years of 2nd shift and I think it's STILL adversely affecting my life.

In the end, just because life means that it's going to be difficult to lose fat (perhaps even impossible until life circumstances change) on a Primal diet doesn't mean it's not a good one to follow. If your lifestyle is causing a certain level of stress...why heap more stress on it?? You mention you would be "done" -- what does that mean? You'll go back to eating grains and franken-oils and follow the low-fat "eat less, exercise more" mentality. Do you really think that will help?

I'm becoming less convinced that low carb all the time is the end all, be all to fat loss. So, if it makes you more sane to have more "safe starches" such as white rice or sweet potatoes, that might help you be a little less stressed and have benefits there. It may be worth temporarily suspending focus on weight/fat and just focus on getting as much sleep as possible, limiting stress, fueling your body right, and being as happy as possible. Some people have reported that taking the focus off weight/fat loss has reduced their stress and then ultimately helped in the fat loss department.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Find a way to get more sleep, primal foods or no.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Everyone seems to think that no one ever lost weight on 6 hours of sleep. I think it's the low-carb that's doing it. Eat more fruit earlier in the day.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

I very rarely eat fruit. I average about 6 hours of sleep at night. I have a kid that I take to school at 7:15AM. The other 2 kids don't have to be at school until 8:15. I don't go back to sleep after they get to school either. I make dinner for the family and get things done that I need to get done. I do take magnesium around 10 to help me get to sleep around midnight or 12:30AM
    Georgette

Do you very rarely eat fruit because you don't like sweet things or because you're worried about carbs?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Listen to the caveman, he's right sometimes.

False premise: low carb = automatic weight loss. Granted I'm young, but I've managed to drop ~30 lbs in the past 6 months while sleeping 4-6 hours most nights, and working a really intense and stressful job. Oh, and I eat lots of teh crabs.

Chronic low-carbing is only going to add to the stress of poor sleep. You could help soften the blow by having at some starches and fruit sugars. Lower the fat accordingly, and keep protein high (or at least moderate) at all times.

Plus, how much and what kind of exercise are you getting? You can't sleep away a bad diet or poorly-conceived exercise routine.
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 03-22-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Shop Now
    I work 11p-7a average about 4 hours (if I'm lucky) of sleep per day. I also make time to walk slowly via hiking with a group 3-4 times per week. How does your excercise look? I myself am counting down the days until I return to second shift so I can get enough sleep. BTW, I live in Cleveland if you are in the area.