Thread: Risk of kidney stones page

Risk of kidney stones

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I bought some grass fed Calf's livers by Strauss and looking at the Nutritional Facts, the vitamin A content is something like 1500% per liver. Is this a high amount of Vitamin A, and am I more at risk for kidney stones?

Thanks!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    how much liver are you going to eat at once?! i'm not sure about the link between vitamin A and kidney stones, but liver is so vitamin & mineral rich, and so healthy that you should eat some every week, but you will want to limit your intake. it's not the kind of thing you'll want to make a meal of, every day. i know people that do a cooked ounce a day, like a vitamin. i prefer to eat a half pound for dinner once a week.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Too much Vitamin A is toxic. On the other hand, the amount required to reach toxicity varies with your Vitamin D status. The higher your blood Vitamin D levels the more Vitamin A you require and can tolerate. Vitamin K2 is also tied in, as it activates Vitamins A & D
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thanks Jakey,

Yeah, I've got 3 livers left and I was thinking about frying them all and eating them over 2 days - so 1 1/2 for each day, coming to about 6 oz per day. Plus, because of the high vitamin A, I'm going to substitute my usual leafy greens for some brussel sprouts.

Also, I take 5000 IU of Vitamin D every day, not to mention the sunlight I get. If that helps

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Kidney stones accumulate through oxidation. Anti-oxidants prevent and even reverse this.
    Put lemon juice (fresh lemon) in your water, eat berries, take red palm oil (tocotrienols are 60x more potent than tocophenols) and generally avoid vegetables high in oxalates like kale and cabbage.

Good info Issabeau! I generally put lemon juice in my water bottle every day and eat lots of berries. I was thinking about introducing kale to my diet, but I think I'll just stick to collard greens and spinach as my main sources of vitamin A.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I had several episodes of kidney stones earlier in my life. I haven't had one in five years, which more or less coincides with the period where I dramatically reduced my intake of sugar, flour and processed foods. I also had hemorrhoids. They've also disappeared.