Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High fat meals page

ryantgrady is offline Junior Member

High fat meals

Primal Fuel
    I get really sleepy when I have high fat meals or snacks. For example, a handful of raw mixed nuts(almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds) makes my brain foggy and makes me feel like I need to sleep. Also, I've noticed that when I eat an avocado it has the same effect. However, if I stick to something like a salad with a myriad of vegetables( celery, radish, bell pepper, green onion, red onion, garlic, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, ect), and use a balsamic vinaigrette with herbs as a dressing(healthy olive oil fat) and I stay away from the high fat I'm fine. I can even add a can of sardines(high protein) with no ill effect on my energy levels. Meats don't do that to me. Fruit doesn't do that to me, in fact, it gives me a boost of energy. But, something about have a large amount of healthy fats puts me to sleep, mentally and physically.
    Anyone else have this issue?

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Could be you eat too often and need to stop snacking.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Could be you eat too often and need to stop snacking.
    No, I usually only have a snack between lunch and dinner, or between breakfast and lunch. But, I never have more than one a day. My snacks are usually very small and spread out over the course of an hour or two, however, if I down my bag of mixed nuts it puts me to sleep, so I have to spread it out over the course of an hour or two. I generally like to have an apple for a snack with my mixed nuts, but as I stated before if I don't spread the nuts out over and hour or two I want to fall asleep and cannot concentrate.
    Last edited by ryantgrady; 03-22-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you're running very low on glycogen. If you're eating fairly low carb a lot of the time then you might want to find some new sources of good clean primal carbs (Sweet potatoes, berries, fruit....) that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    It sounds like you're running very low on glycogen. If you're eating fairly low carb a lot of the time then you might want to find some new sources of good clean primal carbs (Sweet potatoes, berries, fruit....) that sort of thing.
    I tend to try to keep my carbs around 100g a day, and I have a very good understanding of the carb count in most food, but I don't stress when I go over 100g of carbs and when I get up to the 150g a day I'm not really worried about it. So, I'm not sure if that's the case or not. I generally start my day with a banana, an orange or some other high carb fruit, and then some greens and something with a lot of protein like 3 eggs. Then at lunch, or in between lunch I start hitting the high fat stuff(nuts, avocados), and this is when I start to get tired... especially, if I eat a large amount of fat all at once.
    Last edited by ryantgrady; 03-22-2012 at 12:21 PM.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I personally think its better to start the day low carb and go higher carb later in the day. Give that a shot.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    I personally think its better to start the day low carb and go higher carb later in the day. Give that a shot.
    I've tried that as well, but it didn't have an affect on high fat putting me to sleep. I have found that high carb fruit first thing in the morning is what I need.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Three eggs have 15g of fat. An ounce of almonds has 15g of fat. An entire avocado is 21g of fat. I usually eat half, don't know how much you eat, so that would be more like 11g.

I wonder if it's the type of fat rather than the amount. Or something else in the food.

By the way, those three eggs only get you 18g of protein. In the scope of what you likely need to maintain your muscle, that's not a whole lot. Because of the fat content of eggs, I find it hard to eat more than three. They're so filling. I like to have a little meat with my eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    Three eggs have 15g of fat. An ounce of almonds has 15g of fat. An entire avocado is 21g of fat. I usually eat half, don't know how much you eat, so that would be more like 11g.

I wonder if it's the type of fat rather than the amount. Or something else in the food.

By the way, those three eggs only get you 18g of protein. In the scope of what you likely need to maintain your muscle, that's not a whole lot. Because of the fat content of eggs, I find it hard to eat more than three. They're so filling. I like to have a little meat with my eggs.
    I'm aware of the fat and protein content of eggs, almonds, and avocado's, but thank you for the information.
    You usually eat half of what?

I wonder if it's the type of fat rather than the amount too. But, as far as something else in the food I'm pretty sure it isn't something else; I only eat organic whole foods.

I eat three eggs a day, but I also eat other foods that are high sources for protein, so I'm pretty sure that I'm getting adequate amounts of protein to maintain my muscle mass. I find it very hard to eat more than three eggs as well, because they are so filling. I thought that they were so filling because of the combination of fat and protein, the protein being the higher of the two, and not solely from the fat. I not only like, but love having a little meat with my eggs. To bacon or to not bacon, that is the question. The salt content of bacon really turns me off given my tendency to be hypertensive. But, that doesn't mean that I don't eat it when I get the chance, because I do!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There's only 1g more protein than fat in an egg. It's pretty evenly balanced. It's just been my n=1 experience that fat fills me up really quickly where if I add a lean meat to my eggs, I can get more protein in. If I'm shooting for 100g a day, then only getting 20g at breakfast leaves me to eat 40g at each of my other meals, which is a lot for me. I try to get 30-35g at each meal.

As for half of what. Half of an avocado. I can't usually finish a whole one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast