Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you don't like a lot of veggies? page

Nelle is offline Senior Member

What do you do when you don't like a lot of veggies?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a picky eater. Once I got in my 20s I started liking a LOT more food in general but there are still quite a bit of fruits and veggies I don't like. I keep reading how people eat like 9 cups of veggies a day (?!) and some don't eat any fruit. (again... ?!) I am only on week two and I don't want to get tired of the same old stuff, particularly the veggies which are a huge staple in the Primal diet. Does anyone else struggle with veggies? How do you deal with it? If you don't struggle, do you still have any advice? I don't like peppers and I don't like the texture of mushrooms. I love asparagus and sometimes broccoli, squash, zucchini, spinach, onions.... but I could not eat more than a cup or two a day without getting tired of it. I overdid the yogurt a bunch of years ago and now I want to vomit when I eat it and I don't want to get like that with veggies.

Fruit... is it really as "bad" as people are making it out to be? I love most fruits (more than veggies) but I know that are still high in calories and sugar. I do eat a lot of fruits and don't know how I'd survive without them because of my aversion to veggies. My diet would probably be like 90% meat without fruit!

Anyway, do you get what I'm saying? Tips, ideas, or experiences would be great. Thanks, gang!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    First of all, I think the consensus around here was that 9 cups of vegetables was pretty difficult for almost everyone to eat.

Second, you can eat the vegetables you like.

At some point I believe people have to just grow the hell up and not treat everything they put into their mouths as a big giant party for their tongue.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

activia is offline Senior Member
    You need to develop a taste for veggies. You do this buy adding fat or sugar or both.

So take broccoli.. try it with a huge amount of homemade lemon caper sauce... actually try that with any vegetables.. Add LIBERAL amounts of fatty sauces that you LOVE. Eat a little at a time.. and then eat more and more of it until you enjoy eating it slathered. Then you can slowly start cutting down on it.

Also try veggies in a stew, most people start to like veggies this way that they normally wouldn't.

Try one new veggie a week, cook it in all kinds of delicious ways
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I try to eat veggies and fruit in varied colors. My total intake is at most 3 cups a day. I assure you that most of us are not eating 9 cups. Breathe! Then do what works for you. Try a new veg once a week to see if you can expand your list a little. Good Luck!
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Just learn to. Buy some Umeboshi plum vinegar at the health food store- it is super salty and AMAZING and can make veggies taste good. Put it on your big a$$ salad and on your kale with butter.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    At some point I believe people have to just grow the hell up and not treat everything they put into their mouths as a big giant party for their tongue.
    Can you please tell this to my husband? ARgggghh
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

patski is offline Senior Member
    FAT.

FAT.
    FAT.
    FAT.

Cook your veggies in bacon grease, butter, coconut oil, beef tallow. Hell, a combination of fats. I don't know how ANYONE could resist veggies slathered in FAT!

It's beyond delicious!!!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, as soon as I tell my own. Ha ha.

What I meant was there's a point where you just have to try new things and let them grow on you or else find ways to eat them that you can enjoy. I've never liked green beans (that squeaky on my teeth thing) but I started eating them anyway and you know what, I really like green beans.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Hahahaha... awesome.

Also, you may find that your taste changes a bit once you've been at this a while. You may find that savory foods taste better, you may start to appreciate the different textures of veggies. Try new ones - there are tons of veggies out there, and you've probably never tried many or most of them. I recently had kale for the first time and it's pretty much my new favorite food. Worry less and have more fun!

Nelle is offline Senior Member
    hahah, sbhikes!! I know, I know, I need to suck it up. But I literally gag on some things, like I can't control it. (Once I gagged trying to drink tea, another thing I don't like but tried to force) The tongue party goes wrong with some things! I like the idea of sprucing it up with vinegar and fats, etc. I'll give that a try.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast