Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dietary advice from the CW page

KV8R is offline Senior Member

Dietary advice from the CW

Primal Fuel
    This is just a rant.
    I've been primal for 7 months and lost 30 lbs, went from an extremely tight 36 to a loose 34, could probably get into a 32 already if I tried. Over the past few weeks my coworkers have found it necessary to coach me on my diet. They've been telling me how unhealthy my meals are, how I should quit ruining my food with all the fat, eat more carbs, all that bullshit. And apparently I need to increase my exercise too. These fuckers have anywhere from 50-100 lbs on me. Who or what in the fuck gives these assclowns authorization to coach me? How many of you are putting up with this and does it drive you nuts? At first I just shrugged it off and ignored them, but it's getting worse and really starting to bug me.

DISENGAGE RANT MODE

Discuss...

activia is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had a major problem with this because I start talking about Paleo stuff and start throwing tons of science and logic on them that they can't even begin to argue back.

One exception, my stubborn mother.. we have agreed to disagree. I was also not as knowledgeable then as I am now *sigh*
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I'd just ignore them, or point out that whatever they're doing clearly isn't healthy or working for them and that if they spent more time actually eating in a healthy way instead of waddling over to their soapbox to preach to you, they might actually lose a few pounds.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

cline is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    This is just a rant.
    I've been primal for 7 months and lost 30 lbs, went from an extremely tight 36 to a loose 34, could probably get into a 32 already if I tried. Over the past few weeks my coworkers have found it necessary to coach me on my diet. They've been telling me how unhealthy my meals are, how I should quit ruining my food with all the fat, eat more carbs, all that bullshit. And apparently I need to increase my exercise too. These fuckers have anywhere from 50-100 lbs on me. Who or what in the fuck gives these assclowns authorization to coach me? How many of you are putting up with this and does it drive you nuts? At first I just shrugged it off and ignored them, but it's getting worse and really starting to bug me.

DISENGAGE RANT MODE

Discuss...
    I think you'll find most of us, after a while, just quit engaging in these discussions. It's just frustrating. I have all the same co-workers, friends, and family and I just don't engage at all any more. I don't question the 2 pasta meals a co-worker at the other day (not publicly) and I eat very privately now at work. Even my own family routinely questions my training (like exercise is a bad thing...)

If someone asks me my "secret" (which they do), I simply say major lifestyle, diet, and training changes. Usually that prompts "oh". Because they really aren't interested in major work.

Just try to be cool and don't engage. If they criticize your meal, ask if everyone can agree to disagree and you won't criticize their food choice. Food is SUPER personal to most of us.

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    How about slowly looking them up and down and then ask "So, how's that working out for you?"

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    People are weird. When I was a veg, I had a perpetually on WW coworker who would tell me my tofurkey with tomato, spinach and cheese on multigrain with a piece of fruit was lacking in nutrition. (OK, not primal but).... she'd be eating fat free bologna, fat free mayo on diet white bread with sugar free jello. Then she'd tell the very fit guy with bulging muscles that his italian meat sub was fattening and bad for him. Meanwhile she was morbidly obese and smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post
    How about slowly looking them up and down and then ask "So, how's that working out for you?"
    Yeah, I know some folks that I want to do this to. They lost a lot of weight a couple years ago by carrying around a WW book and scales to measure their servings. But when I gave them the BP to read, their excuse was that it would be expensive to buy all that meat...and they're trying to save money right now, plus it would be hard to wake up 15 mins early to make eggs for breakfast. Poptarts are much easier, and they have fruit, right?

HealthyGutHealthyLife is offline Junior Member
    I totally understand this. I'm doing my dietetic internship right now to become an RD and so I get a lot of weird looks from nutritionists when I bring in my lunch...

My advice is just to lead by example - people will be awed by your results. Then's it their choice or not whether to follow your lead. Keep some research articles by your desk so that if people are interested you can give them something to read. Or a few articles from this site. A lot of times people are just uninformed (or informed with the wrong information). Then, if they read that and still have an issue with it - I agree, don't waste your time. Those who don't want to be convinced won't be convinced and that's all there is to it, sadly.

Kelsey
    Healthy Gut, Healthy Life

RyRo17 is offline Junior Member
    I have a co-worker who's convinced that I'm just anti-gluten. She even makes jokes about it and keeps asking me if I've tried this gluten-free item or that gluten-free item. Despite me telling her there's more to it than just gluten; she doesn't get it.

I've given up explaining it in detail to people.

People always want to be helpful and coach others instead of focusing on themselves. (shrug)

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    I just let my 80 pounds of weight loss, stellar blood work and my svelte new bod do all the talking...
    I must be living in a better place - I've converted about 3 of my officemates to PB since I went on it. Success talks!!!
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast