Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempts at fasting: how does this keep happening?? page

SophieE is offline Senior Member

Question Attempts at fasting: how does this keep happening??

Primal Fuel
    So every time I try to fast, I forget! Just for a moment I am presented with a situation where I'll just eat something without thinking about it. I was going to fast today and at 11am my sister had bought a new coconut butter and I was like "oh I wanna try that brand," opens draw, grabs spoon, scoops coconut butter up, puts in mouth swallows, REMEMBERS.

This has happened every time Ive tried to fast. I'm not hungry, I'm not weak or dizzy or anything but I just eat without thinking... Grabbing a countertop plum, opening the fridge and picking up a slice of steak off a plate, nibbling on basil leaves in my garden etc etc. Ive never been able to complete a planned fast! Does this happen to anyone else? Or does anyone have any suggestions regarding how to overcome this problem?

Thanks!

peril is offline Senior Member
    You need to not eat between meals. If you never eat between meals, you'll never break your fast except consciously
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

activia is offline Senior Member
    hmmm that is an odd one. You'll just need to be more mindful about it. Put a post=it note somewhere where you will see it all day... reminder in your phone maybe? Outlook reminder every hour??
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    You need to not eat between meals. If you never eat between meals, you'll never break your fast except consciously
    This. Instead of planning a fast, try working on eliminating all snacking first. If you train your mind and body to not eat unless you are sitting down to a full meal, I think you will find that fasting happens more naturally. I have fasted several times now, but I rarely do it "on purpose"... I just don't eat between meals anymore, and if I don't have time, resources, or appetite for a good meal, it turns into a fast.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Well it's like anything you agree to do in advance, it goes on your calendar and is part of your schedule. Maybe write it down in your appointment book to remind yourself. It sounds like IF may not really be for you though so you probably won't want to do it every day.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    There is a real mindset/focus that has click in to do a true fast. I took me 3 days of prep for this one. I didn't just wake up one morning and decide to fast. I've tried the *think Ill fast today* route and never managed to get farther than 6-8 hours.

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps you should wear a hairband or a bracelet on the wrist of the hand you use. Something to remind you.

I know it's very easy to mess up like that. I was making food for a party last week and not taste testing the foods to see if the seasonings were correct was so hard. I'm not a snacker at all, so the mentioned solution in the above posts in my case isn't the answer.
    I love to cook and people expect a certain level of expectation from my food. I really felt like I had to tie my hands behind my back and believe in my instincts.

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    I agree about stopping the snacking first. I did that before I attempted fasting and it really was no problem at all and I feel so much better doing it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Do you actually want to fast? Why? If you ate at 11 am, you most likely fasted a good interval for Intermittent Fasting (assuming you are a female). I dunno, your 'failures' to fast sound like doing something fun, actually, rather than binging. In fact, your happy attitude seems actually healthier to me than obsessing about the exact # of hours and keeping fast on your mind every frigging second of the day. A few basil leaves only "break" the fast for purists. Leangain allows under 50 calories during fasting window. Obviously, a spoon of coconut butter is not a great thing, but you hear from people now and again who believe they are fasting and they drink bullet proof coffee. So, if you really keen on fasting, after you have put a bite into your mouth, well, slap yourself on the forehead and keep going as if nothing has happened till you are hungry enough to eat a meal.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Do you actually want to fast? Why? If you ate at 11 am, you most likely fasted a good interval for Intermittent Fasting (assuming you are a female). I dunno, your 'failures' to fast sound like doing something fun, actually, rather than binging. In fact, your happy attitude seems actually healthier to me than obsessing about the exact # of hours and keeping fast on your mind every frigging second of the day. A few basil leaves only "break" the fast for purists. Leangain allows under 50 calories during fasting window. Obviously, a spoon of coconut butter is not a great thing, but you hear from people now and again who believe they are fasting and they drink bullet proof coffee. So, if you really keen on fasting, after you have put a bite into your mouth, well, slap yourself on the forehead and keep going as if nothing has happened till you are hungry enough to eat a meal.
    I wondered about this. I saw someone say she was using broth to get through a fast, and my initial thought was "But you're ingesting nutrients, so how is that a true fast?"
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast